Anno: Fallout Edition.

darkedone02

Hey!

This sounds awesome. I also was dissatisfied with the limit of the settlement system. One thing I wanted to look into implementing was having food/water actually be tied to food/water items and not constructions (constructions produce said items when managed by a settler, instead). I think this would encourage the player to take additional food/water when scavenging to their settlements.

It'd be nice to be able to add more complex needs to settlers as well as skills to them to have you value individual settlers. I would love to see this expanded beyond that to finding gas cans to actually run generators (leaving wind as one of the only renewable generators).

I was thinking about keeping the food/water system as it is with employement but increase the rate of settlers and changing the food/water system of instead of a non-static number (like our current version), so instead of your tato producing 1 forever, it will instead produce between 2-5 depending how hard your workers productivity and their skill. Advance settlers in the future on argiculture will double the amount of food produce, so you can have like 11 produced on one tato plant, and since the current system allow 6 plants in one, your probably producing 66 food by just one person maintaining 6 tatos, which could feed a lot of settlers that be coming in. you will need extra settlers to become engineers,scientist, and possibly military units as well, who could wear power armor, and other weaponry... more professions to assign them... probably if you got one skilled person who could become your supervisor, which help remove some of the micromanagement later on (like the supervisor auto assign settlers instead of you doing it, and you can choose how you prioritizes the positions needed).

To each their own,

The experience I want to play seems a bit different than what you're looking for (which is the awesome thing about modding). I personally want a much more gritty experience that encourages exploration to help fund your settlements. So, if say the crops die or you have a bad yield, you may need to go out and find some food to keep people alive.

Hey!

This sounds awesome. I also was dissatisfied with the limit of the settlement system. One thing I wanted to look into implementing was having food/water actually be tied to food/water items and not constructions (constructions produce said items when managed by a settler, instead). I think this would encourage the player to take additional food/water when scavenging to their settlements.

It'd be nice to be able to add more complex needs to settlers as well as skills to them to have you value individual settlers. I would love to see this expanded beyond that to finding gas cans to actually run generators (leaving wind as one of the only renewable generators).

I was thinking about keeping the food/water system as it is with employement but increase the rate of settlers and changing the food/water system of instead of a non-static number (like our current version), so instead of your tato producing 1 forever, it will instead produce between 2-5 depending how hard your workers productivity and their skill. Advance settlers in the future on argiculture will double the amount of food produce, so you can have like 11 produced on one tato plant, and since the current system allow 6 plants in one, your probably producing 66 food by just one person maintaining 6 tatos, which could feed a lot of settlers that be coming in. you will need extra settlers to become engineers,scientist, and possibly military units as well, who could wear power armor, and other weaponry... more professions to assign them... probably if you got one skilled person who could become your supervisor, which help remove some of the micromanagement later on (like the supervisor auto assign settlers instead of you doing it, and you can choose how you prioritizes the positions needed).

To each their own,

The experience I want to play seems a bit different than what you're looking for (which is the awesome thing about modding). I personally want a much more gritty experience that encourages exploration to help fund your settlements. So, if say the crops die or you have a bad yield, you may need to go out and find some food to keep people alive.

Hunting and Trading can happen as well, I wanted to developed a universal marketing building that could somehow influence trade between settlements and cities out there, expectually diamond city. The Idea that I have is something like your civilization/anno where if you needed said "products" like corn or so, you might get better offers when the traders come by. For example, food... I selected tatos, mulfruit, corn, and other nessessity in the trading screen UI, and will buy it with caps, guns, armor, or other items that could help equivalent the trades, wait for a couple of hours in-game for the word to spread, and you would probably get a city or other settlements that are neutral or friendly towards you to aid your settlement... the more food you have stored in your settlement, the more your settlement could survive.

These all look like some very interesting systems. I'd especially like to see synergy between all of them, to create a larger sense of connectivity. Besides that, concerning actually releasing the mod, you should probably focus on an individual module at a time, with a framework beneath it that'll keep them all working together. That way, people can take whatever they want from the mod and leaving anything they don't want. A bit like how Project: Nevada works.

These all look like some very interesting systems. I'd especially like to see synergy between all of them, to create a larger sense of connectivity. Besides that, concerning actually releasing the mod, you should probably focus on an individual module at a time, with a framework beneath it that'll keep them all working together. That way, people can take whatever they want from the mod and leaving anything they don't want. A bit like how Project: Nevada works.

That's somewhat of a good idea, expectantly when I know that people out there make compatibility patches with one another so players have several major mods running all at once, and who knows my mod could have some issues running with other mods. So it seems very logical to do this kind of system so everyone can have their own setup. However I fear that with this system, I think it loses that special exclusive touch, and I might end up actually turning this huge mod into a total conversation in a way... decisions, decisions...

I mean, what would you really have to loose? It's just giving players more options for their game.

that's true....

Besides, then the framework could also serve like the minecraft electric plugin, wherein it not only helps unite the Anno mod, but can also be used to unite other mods into the framework, making a very complete and expansive system.

I'll be the first one to say I think a universal framework for these kinds of things is actually a bad idea. As one of the big mod authors in the Minecraft community, I actually feel the standardization inhibited the advancement of mods there. Standardizing is only beneficial under certain circumstances.

To cite an example of the issues involved...the Minecraft modding scene has adopted a single energy system called Redstone Flux (RF) as the dominant energy system. While this seemed to be a great idea to begin with, its created a situation where there is energy inflation. Essentially new mod authors wish to make things more challenging with their mod or offer a different direction and in order to make their mod play nice with others, they have to use RF. As such new mods make their stuff take more power...and to compensate, they produce more power.

This cycle is just a single example of the issue, and only showcases one facet of the problem. I'll say right now that I do not intend on making my mods conform to other mods as standards (beyond things like UI/Quest/Script APIs). I feel the balance and experience crafted by a mod author should be what they wish to play and this should not be bent in order to play well with other mods (as I feel that is what patches are for).

Thanks,

Ecu

I'll be the first one to say I think a universal framework for these kinds of things is actually a bad idea. As one of the big mod authors in the Minecraft community, I actually feel the standardization inhibited the advancement of mods there. Standardizing is only beneficial under certain circumstances.

To cite an example of the issues involved...the Minecraft modding scene has adopted a single energy system called Redstone Flux (RF) as the dominant energy system. While this seemed to be a great idea to begin with, its created a situation where there is energy inflation. Essentially new mod authors wish to make things more challenging with their mod or offer a different direction and in order to make their mod play nice with others, they have to use RF. As such new mods make their stuff take more power...and to compensate, they produce more power.

This cycle is just a single example of the issue, and only showcases one facet of the problem. I'll say right now that I do not intend on making my mods conform to other mods as standards (beyond things like UI/Quest/Script APIs). I feel the balance and experience crafted by a mod author should be what they wish to play and this should not be bent in order to play well with other mods (as I feel that is what patches are for).

Thanks,

Ecu

Hmm. I do see what you mean. Given Fallout's already existing systems, mods should work with each other from the start since advanced functionality like power is already there. Disregard my previous comment.

Yeah, I don't know about making the indiviualness modules of my mods, considering i probably be tieing them together to make a functional mod. There so much I could actually do that end up being one huge mode. If I can make my own customized UI for the settlement mod, TAB should now have access to the pipboy during this mode, and I can make a UI based on the settlement during settlement mode. For example, during settlement mode, I can switch to my pip boy that shows an item list that is in my current settlement, show's who doing what, show the tech tree, experience gainage and skills of each indiviual working in my settlement, and other tabs I could add. When you exit out of settlement mod, your pip-boy go back to default, showing your own stuff and quest and all that jazz.