ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Can I ask for A rundown of what you can and cannot mod for fallout 4?

Deleted24139409User

So I have not seen an actual list of what you are able to mod right now and what I have seen has been texture replacing and modding property values in game like ammo count etc.

I am a game programmer C# / C++ and would like to know if we are able to do game specific things like create a new quests or insert our own logic to AI or if we could ever. Is it possible to add in game items, animations, particles, shaders?

Lets say I wanted to make a 'Food' modification behavior trait that made AI need to eat would this be currently possible?

I know you must get this a million times a day but I am interested in getting into modding and would like to know what I am able to do right now.

Thanks guys,

So I have not seen an actual list of what you are able to mod right now and what I have seen has been texture replacing and modding property values in game like ammo count etc.

This is probably all that's currently possible until the tools are released.

I am a game programmer C# / C++ and would like to know if we are able to do game specific things like create a new quests or insert our own logic to AI or if we could ever. Is it possible to add in game items, animations, particles, shaders?

Lets say I wanted to make a 'Food' modification behavior trait that made AI need to eat would this be currently possible?

Not possible until the construction set is released. Probably. Straight replacer type things you can do (animations are pretty much just that) but truly new content of anything more complicated than that is not possible til the editor is released.

This is probably all that's currently possible until the tools are released.

Not possible until the construction set is released. Probably. Straight replacer type things you can do (animations are pretty much just that) but truly new content of anything more complicated than that is not possible til the editor is released.

Yeah I thought so, you think then it would be able to do some of this stuff? Does anyone have an ETA?

Right now we don't have reliable tools for editing scripts. In teory you could use modified TES5Edit to create scripts, but it would require a lot more manual work and I'm not convinced it would be successfully applied into the game without Script Extender. Fortunately we have FO4SE beta version:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544542-wipz-fallout-4-script-extender-f4se/

As soon as we get Creation Kit most of the stuff you are interested in will be doable. Check TESV mods. Skyrim is based on the same engine as FO4 (minus few upgrades). There is also mod for Skyrim called iNeed, which can assign starvation meter to main character, companion and your horse.

https://sites.google.com/site/modsbyisoku/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/ineed/advanced

If you are interested in injecting visual effects, be sure to check on Enb series for FO4 developement.

Content wise, there are also rules against mods which intentionally, or unintentionally cause damage to users or which features content largely for the purposes of offending people or fabricating drama.

A mod based around replacing food items with the baby model for the sake of grossing people out, or otherwise looking to upset them would apply to the later part of this.

We're still waiting on the new version of the GECK to come out, plus a bunch of other tools, like updated NIFtools for Blender, a new BSA extractor/compressor, etc. It is possible to do some decent modding without the GECK (Moonpath to Elswyr for example), but you would have to deconstruct the game's original assets, rebuild them, and then reconstuct them which is difficult and tedious.

As of right now, your C# / C++ skills could be put to better use by helping develop mod tools, if that's something you want to do.

Edited by BipedalGiraffe

We're still waiting on the new version of the GECK to come out, plus a bunch of other tools, like updated NIFtools for Blender, a new BSA extractor/compressor, etc. It is possible to do some decent modding without the GECK (Moonpath to Elswyr for example), but you would have to deconstruct the game's original assets, rebuild them, and then reconstuct them which is difficult and tedious.

As of right now, your C# / C++ skills could be put to better use by helping develop mod tools, if that's something you want to do.

For sure, please let me know what is needed. Is there a thread or a IRC channel where people are talking?