[wip] Vault 131 - Modified G.e.c.k.

randydg

There are two types of GECKS known in Fallout. The original, used in the first few games, was a kit containing seeds, soil, fertilizer, ext. However, the version seen in Fallout 4 is much more powerful, combining matter around it into liveable terrain. I guess you could use the first type. But it'll probably confuse more casual players since it's virtually never referred to in its original form. But that still doesn't change my original criticizm.

I just think it's kind of boring. Its not a very interesting story. I mean, your settlements are already capable of growing plenty of food. And there's already a vault with clean soul. The only real benefit would be a scenery change. Which is why I directed you previously to the Fallout Tactics 2 information.

How about instead of finding a GECK the player finds a nursery full of grass and other various plants plus seeds of all the plants you plan to add and a special fertilizer that will increase the growth of trees so you get 20 years of growth in a month then the fertilizer decays so they grow at a normal rate from then on.

You can use the workshop to plant new trees in the settlement. have a fence post as the marker that's planted that will be replaced by a 1/4 scaled tree in a week. each consecutive week it gains 1/4 scale and at the end of a month it is full sized. Player opens the workshop selects tree and walks around with a fence post to support the sapling when it does grow. requires 1 seed and 1 fertilizer, can only be placed on dirt.

With all the other plants you can put grass and seed into a special container and assign a settler to it and over time they will plant new plants around the place.

The grass though I don't know if it will be possible. That's shared assets used throughout the wasteland and is changed via landscape editing in the CK. As far as I know there's no way to script landscape edits. You can possibly make new grass and dirt "textures" for the game then do the landscape editing using those. So you have brown and green versions of them that need to be installed, brown installed with the mod and green once all the bushes and trees are done.