What's possible with FO4Edit?

iwonderif

I wanted to make a simple mod with FO4Edit only to try it out. I tried to change the "Irradiated" legendary mod and add an additional effect.

The "Irradiated" mod has only 4 properties and since i found no way to add a property, i copied the "Never Ending" mod (with 5 properties) as a new record into my .esp and edited everything to be identical to the old "Irradiated" mod except description and my 5th property. I checked it multiple times, everything is identical, if i hide no conflict rows, i only see the ones i want to see.

Yet, when i start the game and cheat myself an irradiated weapon, it is called "Never Ending", the description hasn't changed the and effect is the "Irradiated" one.

Have i done something horribly wrong, or is this because FO4Edit is in Alpha and things like this just don't work yet?

Edited by iwonderif

No, you just don't know how to use it and how plugins work in Bethesda games. Take your time to study http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38413

Thank you, but that really doesn't explain to me how the game even knows that i used "Never Ending" as a template. There is no reference to "Never Ending" left. I can only assume that it is stored somewhere, but FO4Edit doesn't display it.

No, you just don't know how to use it and how plugins work in Bethesda games. Take your time to study http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38413

Thank you, but that really doesn't explain to me how the game even knows that i used "Never Ending" as a template. There is no reference to "Never Ending" left. I can only assume that it is stored somewhere, but FO4Edit doesn't display it.

Without official tools available and proper data definitions it doesn't display a lot.

• 3 months later...

No no you are doing it wrong and misunderstanding how it works. If you created a NEW RECORD on your mod it doesnt matter to the game since you didnt make a constructible object record referencing in the "created object" your new record which I assume its an object modification (OBJM) type record. The game first needs you to set the OBJM record to tell it what will be changed on the weapon/armor, assuming you didnt change the category which the modification will appear (its the "ap_somekeyword" at the beginning of the OBJM data entries) and set (or not) a keyword filter (usually starts with "ma_somekeyword" like "ma_laser" so it only shows for laser weapons at the category selected, this one is usually at the bottom at the keywords entries) you will need a constructible object record referencing your OBJM in its created tab so it can appear in game.

In the constructible object records (aka recipes) you can set the components required, conditions like perk checks etc (just see vanilla constructible objects to take pointers).

The never ending mod you are adding to your characters is refering to the vanilla never ending mod, the game has no idea where your mod is since there's no recipe for it to even show up.

And also you can easily add properties to vanilla records, just right click the mod you want to modify, copy it as override to your to your mod (assuming you want to change the vanilla record and not create a new one) and then right click the properties line in the data entries in your mod tab and select "add". This will create a new null property that just needs you to set its parameters and functions. Dont forget to set the Parameter#3 value to -1 at the end.

If you are referring to the weapon namingt automatically being set as "Never Ending Laser weapon something like that" thats because the game when adding a modification to a weapon it usually also adds a keyword to the item, that keyword usually is referred in the Naming Stance Rules record that handles the automatic weapon naming. This keyword usually starts with "dn_somekeyword" or "haskeyword_neverendinglegendary" something like.

The only way for the game to know how to name a weapon is through keywords, keywords which are set as a property entry in the OBJM (look for a property with FormID,Int type, with the "add" function and then "keywords" type, usually followed by the keyword editorID underneath it) that way when the naming stance rule record sees that keyword being added to the item it renames it to something else. You can edit the naming rules easily also doing an override modification to it or removing it from your weapon, which will stop it from following the naming rules when mods are added to it (not recommended if you are editing vanilla weapons). As a side not the naming rules of the weapons usually refers to the dn_commonguns (not a keyword is the name of the naming rule record) which coordenates the naming of most vanilla weapons.

To avoid your item being wrongly named you have four options.

1-Add the proper keyword to the property entry in your mod. Since you copied the never ending mod it has the HasLegendaryNeverEnding keyword set in one of the properties, which in interaction with the weapon naming rule renames the item to its properly Never Ending name since your record adds that keyword to it.

2-Remove the keyword property entry.

3-Crete new keyword, add it as entry to your OBJM and then add it as a rule to the naming rules record.

4-Rename your item in-game.

Hope I helped you sorry I'm late. I have extensive experience modding beth games so any doubt just ask.

Edited by shockwave171