God rays pixelation fix please!

BiscuitHater

Not sure if it's even possible but i'm not the only one having this problem where God rays casting on an object or character model is causing a blurry mess of pixels.

Disabling them is an option but it's not technically a fix since the game looks so dull with them disabled. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could get some sort of workaround for god rays on low, medium & high working as intended.

Note that when set to Ultra the pixelation is no more but the fps hit is too much at 1440p or higher with everything else maxed & a ton of mods.

Here is what happens on low, medium or high god rays:

http://imgur.com/rSznarq

More noticeable close up but you can clearly see when zoomed in.

Edited by BiscuitHater

So you're looking for ultra graphics at no cost to performance, correct?

Let me just... Wave my wand... Lol.

I have noticed that the DDS textures are highly compressed which performance takes a hit from so perhaps re-importing godray meshes into the game uncompressed may help.

But I'm not even sure godrays are textures or meshes unfortunately.

Likely an effect which can't be messed with just yet

Edited by TroJanViru5

The godrays use a texture that is created on runtime, so you can't directly alter it outside of the game. There are console commands however. If you open the console and type gr and hit enter, it should give you a list of console commands relating to the godrays/volumetric lighting. One of them alters the resolution of the godrays, and another alters the filtering quality. Both of which will make your FPS crawl.

Not sure if it's even possible but i'm not the only one having this problem where God rays casting on an object or character model is causing a blurry mess of pixels.

Disabling them is an option but it's not technically a fix since the game looks so dull with them disabled. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could get some sort of workaround for god rays on low, medium & high working as intended.

Note that when set to Ultra the pixelation is no more but the fps hit is too much at 1440p or higher with everything else maxed & a ton of mods.

No, i'm looking for some sort of optimization for the other settings since god rays low, medium or high have next to no difference & are causing an effect which shouldn't be in the game, as in the screen i linked.

The blurry mess of pixels shouldn't be happening on low, medium or high to begin with & simply disabling them is not an actual fix.

No, i'm looking for some sort of optimization for the other settings since god rays low, medium or high have next to no difference & are causing an effect which shouldn't be in the game, as in the screen i linked.

The blurry mess of pixels shouldn't be happening on low, medium or high to begin with & simply disabling them is not an actual fix.

I think you may have quoted the wrong post ^^

Also, what do you mean with "shouldn't have happened to begin with"? The pixelation is caused by the way the godrays are rendered. This isn't just your ordinary post-process god rays, this is complete volumetric lighting. If you type "gr debug 1" in the console in game, you can see the mesh that the game uses to render the godrays. On top of that mesh is then rendered a texture with 1 color channel and 1 alpha channel. This texture is roughly a third of your screen resolution, and trust me, if you upped that to your full screen resolution, your computer would explode.

• 5 years later...