Distant terrain turns blue

Slostenn

I'm experiencing a very weird glitch that I haven't found anyone else mention anywhere. After playing for several hours, distant terrain starts to turn blue. It doesn't seem like an LOD issue, because when I start moving towards it, it fades away smoothly while the LOD texture is still loaded. It seems more like something related to shadows or lighting. I'm running an R9 290 and it's never gone above 3Gb/68c in Fallout 4, so it's not a lack of VRAM/overheating. When I close the game and start it again, it's gone, but it always comes back after a few hours.

I don't expect anyone to know how to fix it, but I at least want some ideas as to what might be causing it.

Edit: I've found two other people suffering from the same glitch on Reddit, one of which is using a GTX 760, so I'm confident that this is not GPU or driver specific - this is an issue with the game itself.

http://i.imgur.com/rxA84S4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3k8c3U4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Cg9hz48.jpg

Edited by Tukster

• 1 month later...

It is a vram issue, but an odd one. Civ5 would do the same thing, but with black instead of blue. Exit, restart would go away for a while, but eventually come back. As if memory was slowly being eaten away.

In civ, as you went around the map, you could see it draw in each hex, but some would be black for the terrain. zoom in, wait a bit, and it would draw the tile. Zoom out, and it comes back in other areas. That's a memory issue. Since the blue clears up as you get closer and the game redraws the terrain (zoom in scope doesn't look like it's redrawing, just zooming in on what's already there)

Just like the black face bug in SLI. sometimes full black, sometime partial mesh draw.

not much you can do about it, update drivers etc. Has to be fixed game side/driver side.

(fixed my sli issues by just getting a newer vid card though) :)

If you have mods that add meshes/textures, try taking those out and see if that helps, turn down settings, yada yada. standard stuff.

If this is happening in pure vanilla, I'd post it to the bethesda forums.

I get that occasionally. Not that extreme, though. I've an R7 260X. It doesn't bother me much as it doesn't happen very often. When it starts happening the game's been running all day. So I quit for a little while and play again later, and try to not play for really long periods of time.

(Google image search pointed me to this thread :) ).

I never saw this bug until I made a few changes to my Fallout4/Fallout4Custom.ini file. The only changes I made today were related to uGrids and specifically these two lines:

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1 (I didn't have this line included before today)
iPreloadSizeLimit=16777216000 (I had this set to a much lower value previously. This amount is what I've read to be correct for 32gb ram)
About to try testing.

I never saw this bug until I made a few changes to my Fallout4/Fallout4Custom.ini file. The only changes I made today were related to uGrids and specifically these two lines:

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1 (I didn't have this line included before today)
iPreloadSizeLimit=16777216000 (I had this set to a much lower value previously. This amount is what I've read to be correct for 32gb ram)
About to try testing.

OMG! That fixed it! Thanks alot! Many many thanks!

• 4 months later...

Necro Post - Sorry.

Did anyone figure what was going on with this?

Decided to give FO4 a try again and of course this time around I wanted to mod the hell out of the game but still keep it reasonable in the terms of how many active plugins. (Only 100 active plugins and with a Merged Patch)

Got around 30 hours in and now suddenly my game is doing this.

It can be after 5 mins or up to an hour of gaming before it shows its ugly rear end.

I've tried to delete all my ini files and allow the game to recreate it. (didnt work)

Reinstalled the game completely (I've got steam copy) - Yielded the same results...

Texture mods - I only have the Vivid Texture Series installed (The Performance Friendly Versions), the FAR Lod texture mod and a Water texture mod (forgetting the name of it - but its the one that makes the water blue and transparent).

i7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz - Set to Mid Performance.

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X @ 1000/1300 - not over clocked at all.

SanDisk SSD - Game is installed on this along with NMM and the mods.

Any help would be awesome. Thank You, Sam.

• 10 months later...

Edit: My issue persists. The only thing that will fix it will be a new video card, I think. My R7 260X is just too old and weak, now. Next card will be a RX 480 4GB (8GB is too expensive here).

I've tried all the .ini edits, using ENBoost, and nothing works. Googling my issue and it's not a very common one - rainbow textures are far more common but, I don't get those. I'd glady trade for that problem, though :smile:

Â

Edit 2: Meanwhile 3 months later, I have a new monitor and video card (MSI RX 480 8GB) and the problem is still there. It can't be a ram or vram issue (I have 16GB in my system and 8 GB on the card). My card never goes over 60C so it's not overheating and there's ample cooling inside my case.

Been trying to fix this stupid thing myself - blue is a mesh issue, right? You'd think extracting all the meshes (or just landscape) from the ba2 would fix it, maybe even all the landscape materials as well, but no. I'm sure if I extract all ba2's it'll still be there.

It's only this game that I've had this annoyance. Very few people have it (Google "fallout 4 blue terrain" and there's only a couple of results that aren't rainbow textures. Plus there's no fix.

Edit 3:

Looks like I might have eradicated it, at last. Had several long gaming sessions where I had to go into interiors and back out (which is when it happened, when the world loaded).

What has so far fixed it for me is Vivid AIO. I'd used parts of it before but now I use everything. Well, except some trees that FO4 Seasons overwrites (so I can have leaves).

So it looks as if Vivid fixed it. Hopefully it stays away for good this time :)

(Edited without bumping for anyone who comes here from Google like I did).

Edited by star-mystyk

• 10 months later...