Shadows of Corruption

AurianaValoria1

Wind nodded at the Avvar's request and set it aside, he cut the best flanks free and set about detaching one of the legs. When he pulled it free he cut the leg off at the knee and set it aside, As his companions and the Avvar spoke he set about building a spit. Wind walked to the nearby tree and clapped his hands together as he prepped himself for a lengthy climb. The elf smiled and jumped up, gripping a low branch and pulling himself up. He tested the next with his foot as he gripped one above him and proceeded to climb the tree rather deftly. When he got near the top he started hacking away at the branches.

It took a few minutes but he came away with all the things he would need. He climbed down and dropped to the ground with a loud *THUD* and brushed himself off. "That was fun." He said with a smile and continued about his work. He quickly built the spit with a practiced precision, remembering learning this in the little time he lived among his people. His mind drifted back to those moments as his hands worked, tying the sticks together, setting the meat and stoking the still hot coals from the evening fire. He sat next to the fire, turning the leg of venison. It started to cook so he walked over to his saddlebags and began to rummage around, pulling out small glass bottles of spices, sniffing them occasionally to check the contents. When he had selected the right herbs and spices he returned and began spreading the glaze with a brush and sprinkling the salt, pepper and dried olive leaves to not only preserve the meat for longer periods but also enhance the flavor.

He whistled happily, seeming to be content in his work and thoughts them pay his companions all that much attention, but he kept a blade close just in case the Avvar turned out to have more nefarious plans. When the Templar invited the Avvar to travel, Wind's pointed ears perked. He did not think that it was wise but, he was in no real place to challenge the Avvar, he brought them food and so far had not acted in a hostile manner so he remained silent but watched intently, idly turning the leg over so the heat of the coals could do their work.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Grey Wardens?" Celeste asked, standing closer to the fire and wrapping the Templar robes tighter around her, "I hear the Queen is trying to rebuild their ranks here in Ferelden, with the new headquarters at Vigil's Keep. I'm sure she'd appreciate volunteers. That's likely where you'd eventually have to go, if you truly want to join them."

"Vigil's Keep, eh?" Abraham replied to Celeste, raising his brows in response to the new rumor that was unfamiliar to him, "Cannot say with any certainty that I've heard of that one before. If I have, it must have eluded by memory."

Chortling quietly for a brief moment following his comment, the former Templar soon conducted the familiar ritual of filling and lighting his pipe, figuring that they would be there long enough for him to enjoy a brief smoke. When the scent of his sweetly cinnamon-scented tobacco mingled with the emerging scents of cooking venison, however, his stomach growled insidiously with an alarming loudness. "I must say, Wind, I'd have never considered a Crow to be such an experienced cook," The venerable fellow spoke earnestly, expelling a large plume of smoke afterward.

"Anywho, a Warden's life is a tough one. Not something I would have fancied in my younger years." Abraham mused thoughtfully with a tinge of nostalgia mingled with the smoke-laden words of his, "But it sure seems like something some folks would enjoy, fighting Darkspawn until the bitter end and all that."

Edited by FreemasonGamer

"Indeed, I have heard danger of their joining but I have no fear, Korth shall watch over me and besides that, the blood of a dragon flows in my veins! I have no fear of darkspawn blood!" Volhammer said while making a fist in front of his face. "It will grant me even more power, with it, the dragon's blood, and Korth's hand guiding me, I will be a terror in the hearts of the darkspawn, they shall flee into their masters caverns as I hunt them down, and I shall slay the remaining archdemons, ending the blights once and for all. And in victory, all will know my name." He spoke as he stood, drawing himself up to his full height. "And then, I shall form a tribe of the strongest of warriors, and the Avvar people will once again be looked upon with the respect and glory that we deserve!" His yelled out, voice echoing in the surrounding fog.

Before taking a deep breath, he sat back down once more and smiled to those around him. "And so that is my goal, tell me, what is yours?" He asked, as if his previous outburst was a rather normal thing for him to do.

Wind smiled and shrugged at Abraham's comment, "I come by it naturally my armor plated friend." He replied, "For a short while I was tasked with assassinating the Lady Deveroux, she had a penchant for food, always hiring new kitchen slaves." He added, "She went through them quickly so it was an easy way in to her estate." Said the Elf as he brandished his Crow-Blade, "I was able to slip into her bedroom and fulfill my contract." Wind turned over the venison leg, he cut a piece away with his knife and offered it to Abraham.

"While I was there, I was able to pick up a few recipes on roasting." He said with a smile, "The trick is the glaze... holds the spices close to the meat and it should be applied liberally and often." Wind chuckled lightly and looked to the Avvar.

"Years ago I met a Grey Warden once... good fighters them." Said Wind as he gestured at Volhammer with his knife.

Celeste's eyes widened when Volhammer practically screamed his declaration to the world. Staring at him slightly open-mouthed, she then shook her head rapidly back and forth and answered, "I...ah...well. I thought I had a goal. At one time. But I don't, really. Not anymore. I...lost it." A forlorn look swept over her face, and she glanced down at her toes. Sighing, she added, "We're actually on our way to report back to the merchants who hired us. Beyond that...I can't say."

An amused expression colored Abraham's features as their Avvar companion voiced his dreams and goals, reminding the former Templar of himself at a considerably younger age. Nodding briefly, he listened to his fellows until he was offered a slice of their cooking breakfast from their assassin-turned-chef, Wind. Abraham's face lit up at the offer, and he removed one of his gauntlets before taking the tidbit of well-cooked, spiced meat. "Mhmm, excellent taste," He commented to the Dalish elf after quickly devouring the tasteful sliver of venison, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I've lived my life and met more goals along the way than those I have nowadays, friend," The borderline-elderly warrior soon remarked to Volhammer's inquiry after Celeste said her piece, "I climbed the ranks of the Templars, made many friendships along the way, lost as much as I gained... Such is life, and now I'm here. Folks my age are fortunate if they can say they've fulfilled their life ambitions."

"Aye, Redcliffe... That will not be an enjoyable outing, but it must be done." He insisted regarding the Enchantress's final statement. "After that... I know not. Vigil's Keep, Kinloch Hold, the Storm Coast... We've yet to see whatever path the Maker has charted for us."

Volhammer thought long and hard on their words, eventually clapping his hands together rather loudly. "Then I have decided I shall travel with you lot then!" He said excitedly. "And together, the four of us shall find our destinies together! To Redcliffe and beyond!" He bellowed as he leapt back up to his feet. "If Korth is willing I shall return shortly, I have a camp up the ways, I shall pack it up and return here, then enjoy in the spoils of my morning hunt with you, and begin our travels in search of what the gods have in store for us!"

"Maker guide you," Abraham offered with an amiable tone when the Avvar declared that he would return shortly with the equipment from his own camp. Once the adventurers' three were left to themselves, the former Templar looked to Wind and then to Celeste with raised brows, noting curiously, "Well then, I reckon that makes our fourth member of our little fellowship we've begun. I hope Volhammer's company won't bother either of you two."

The venerable gentleman spared an eager glance at their cooking breakfast before also remarking, "Hopefully this will be ready to eat by the time he returns, then we can head out. I hope he has his own horse, too."

On that note, Abraham once again refilled his briarwood pipe with the richly scented tobacco he always had on his person, and a muffled cough tried to escape him as he lit the pipe's contents and began his usual habit of smoking like a riled high dragon.

Edited by FreemasonGamer

Wind stood and walked over to Lucky, keeping one eye on the cooking meat while they spoke. "If you cut pieces off you can eat... Slice off a piece as it cooks, let's the rest of it cook." He said with a smile, "Just apply the glaze and herb after you remove a piece." He said, gesturing to the bottle of honey glaze and the clump of mixed dried herbs on a rock near the fire. He dug through his saddlebags and removed a small bone flute, a eagles feather was tied to the end with a leather strip. He smiled, spun it around in his fingers with a flourish and walked back over to the log, he put it to his lips and blew into it, the flute gave a sharp chirp. He drew a small blade from the sheath hidden in his left bracer and stuck the tip into one of the holes to widen it as he twisted it about.

"You trust this Avvar?" He asked his companions, giving them a curious look. "Anyone can provide some game, make a few boasts and cheerful laughs... doesn't mean they are trustworthy." He added as he idly carved bits of the unfinished bone flute away with his small knife.