Death means death of character?

mukumukuu

I've played with Chewus Oblivion Afterlife and liked the Idea of dying then going Heaven or Hell. It got me thinking of other stuff to do for when the character dies instead of doing a load sequence. How about when you die your character goes through the same stuff but once in Heaven or Hell the player's character then becomes an NPC after leaving the place. Once the player has left, they then create a new character and pick up the story where the other character left off at. So say you die, you then go then heaven or hell. You make the new adventurer and choose to start back at level 1 or start at your last character's level. If you choose to start at the last level you will be given a menu to allocate the attribute and skill points you've collected up to that level so can have a new build if you wanted. If you go to where you died you can find your previous character's body. Take the equipment you want and after say 2 game days the corpse disappears and a grave stone can then be found at an added graveyard. Now say that your new adventurer dies on the field. If you go to heaven and your previous character went to heaven you can find the NPC form of your character wandering about. I loved the heaven/hell aspect of Chewus afterlife mod but it just seemed strange that you can just return to Earth after dying so I found an alternative to go with my mod idea. Say you died but you don't want a new adventurer. When you choose to go back, your character is now a ghost! There would be a quest involving a necromancer, black soulgems, and the soul of another person in order to turn your character back into a living being. This could definitely use some more thought in it but this is kind of the outline of it. I'd love to now what some of you people think about it and throw in some ideas of your own that you think would be good.

Getting loot off your previous character's body would be tricksy since normally when you create a new character you must start a new game and the body would not be in that new game. There is one mod that allows items to be transferred. CDM-Here, Take This: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36889 but all that is is a shared chest between games.

The problem is I am pretty sure when you were turning the dead character into an NPC there would be a time in there when your game would have NO character the game recognizes as a PC before you make a new one. The game isn't designed for you to make an entirely new one in the same game, either. I am not sure what that would do, but I think it might be ugly.

Ghost idea seems possible enough. You could download the ghost race and do a showracemenu in the console when you were ready to take on the ghost form. Reverting to human form after that would probably not be something a quest could automate because what you would probably want to do is import the face of your old character from a save onto your new one.

Put in a quest to be done in ghost form, where you have to find the items for a resurrection. A good character could have to visit a priest or priestess of a specific Divine, and an evil character would have to visit the plane of a specific Daedra to trigger the quest (or quests - they could well be totally different). Different races could also have different Divines/Daedra they are associated with.

For equipment transfer, the stages might be:

Player becomes "ghost" and reassign skill points to a pool to be reused. "Ghost" still has everything in inventory at this point.

Create lootable body using previous character as physical template, with all relevant gear on it. "Ghost" now has an empty inventory.

Menu to select restart or "carry on" option.

Restart forces restart in jail (or whatever alternative start location you may have a mod for)

"Carry on" Puts you through the character generation screen, and then immediately into a level-up menu with ALL of your skill points to "spend" - this may mean having to trigger several consecutive screens to account for your character's level).

Here comes the first problem: WHERE do you place a newly created character with no gear so they are close to the corpse, but safe: given they have no gear, just whatever spells they have by default?

I saw the getting gear from your own dead body done in an early Oblivion mod - I'll try to find it and add it onto this post. Basically, when you died, you met death, got a little speech then were dropped back at the exit from the sewers with nothing. All of your gear stayed with your corpse and if you could find it and not get killed again first, retrieve the gear. Or just start over and possibly eventually find your original body laying where it was killed.

No new character though, you kept the same PC, same looks, same characteristics, and everything.

Here it is: Death Inc. from 5 years ago - April 2006. http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2183

Possibly something there you could use.

Getting loot off your previous character's body would be tricksy since normally when you create a new character you must start a new game and the body would not be in that new game.

The problem is I am pretty sure when you were turning the dead character into an NPC there would be a time in there when your game would have NO character the game recognizes as a PC before you make a new one. The game isn't designed for you to make an entirely new one in the same game, either. I am not sure what that would do, but I think it might be ugly.

Tested what you said my and idea could be possible. You don't have to start a new game for a new character. There's "showracemenu", "showclassmenu" and "showbirthsignmenu" commands to pretty much create the new character. bben46 provided link to a mod that made the corpse looting able to be done. I would suggest No Quest Items mod be used so that the player can loot the amulet of kings and other quest items off the corpse instead of magically obtaining them. As for the NPC i tested it myself and used "player.createfullactorcopy" and made my little NPC. From there I used the "showracemenu" command, changed my looks, race and gender then left the menu. The NPC I created still was there and looked just like my first person. For Markin and his question on where the new adventurer would spawn, I thought you could choose a spawn location such as one of the taverns, fighter's/mage's guild, or one of the docks areas. There could be a chest placed near the location of the spawn point with some gear to get by with. If anything to make a little sense of things leave a letter with the new character stating "the hero of Tamriel has died and now it's up to you." or something like that. You don't HAVE to spawn near your dead body. Say you died in the planes of oblivion, where COULD you spawn? However I must say I liked your idea of different quests to return to normal. It could be based upon the players fame/infamy. The priest/priestess is a good idea but I think a necromancer sounds easier for evil people than finding a certain plane of oblivion. With the ghost player I ask why can't you do a quest that reverts you to normal? The ghost race mod has a potion that turns your current character into an exact ghost look alike instantly so why can't it work in reverse? Unless there's something that goes completely against what the game is hard-coded to do or just plain impossible I'm sure there's ways to make it happen.

Edited by mukumukuu