Changing Player Skeleton Mesh

Maegfaer

I am trying to change the player's skeleton mesh, by editing the player in the CS. There is a button that selects the skeleton mesh, and by default it is "characters\_Male\skeleton.NIF". I changed it to a different location with a different skeleton.NIF file, but when I activate the .esp and play the game Oblivion apparantly keeps using the default characters\_Male\skeleton.NIF file. Has anyone any idea how I can get this working? I only want to change the skeleton of the player, not of all the other NPC's, so overwriting the default skeleton.NIF file is no option.

Thanks alot in advance!

My understanding is that you can't - it's hardcoded that every member of every playable race, including the player, must use that same skeleton. The only way to alter it in any way is to alter all the skeletons in the game by changing the skeleton.nif.

This is one of the bigger shortcomings of modding for Oblivion - there's not a ton we can do to create new playable races. Of course, it's not as big a shortcoming as I originally thought, since most new races for Morrowind (where the skeleton COULD be changed) were either a)different colors of existing races or b)an existing race with wings.

Both of those pretty much already exist for Oblivion, although the wings have to be equipped as clothing.

Archived