Best Anti Virus

Microsoft provides free anti-virus which works well and isn't too heavy on system resources - on Vista and 7 its called Security Essentials, on Windows 8 and later it was re-branded as Defender. Alternately, Windows Update can take you to a page with other (often paid) options, but generally I'd just go with the MSFT option since its free as part of Windows.

Even if it's not the best around as an Antivirus (MS Secutity Essential) - it's free and fast, however at the end you get what you pay for...

I advise you to read that article. -> http://dottech.org/14151/windows-best-free-antivirus-antimalware-program-microsoft-security-essentials-vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/#editionlog

Even if it's not the best around as an Antivirus (MS Secutity Essential) - it's free and fast, however at the end you get what you pay for...

I advise you to read that article. -> http://dottech.org/14151/windows-best-free-antivirus-antimalware-program-microsoft-security-essentials-vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/#editionlog

That article is insanely outdated by anti-virus comparison standards; it's essentially worthless as a result (it also reads like it was procedurally generated to be forum spam, the phrase "best free anti-virus" appearing in every sentence for example). Due to how quickly malware evolves and adapts, you really need comparisons that are as recent as possible. This is much more up to date:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/avc_prot_2015b_en.pdf (e.g. it is current)

For the most recent sample, MSE is out-performing McAfee by a % or so, and lands in cluster 2 - not awful by any standards, and again its free without any sort of begging for additional money. IME it also has less false positives/problems with many games, which was a continuous issue with AVG and Avast (again, IME).

From your pdf you posted, MSE don't even gets to the award winning products.

"Microsoft was considered as a baseline and was therefore tested out-of-competition, due to which it is not included in the awards page. The score of Microsoft Windows Defender would be equivalent to STANDARD."

That above says it all. It's a baseline AV product and can't be compared directly with other AV products.

------

No one should rely on MSE only, if security is his(her) first priority. !!!

The OP should seach a bit, and not ever consider to use the free Microsoft Antivirus on the long run on his(her) PC.

I would suggest one of the following AV's

AVG Free Antivirus 2015
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Avast! Free Antivirus 2015
Avira Free Antivirus 2015
----------
Also with any of those above, MalwareBytes is a must have Anti malware utility for the overal protection on todays systems.
Edited by mark5916

From your pdf you posted, MSE don't even gets to the award winning products.

"Microsoft was considered as a baseline and was therefore tested out-of-competition, due to which it is not included in the awards page. The score of Microsoft Windows Defender would be equivalent to STANDARD."

That above says it all. It's a baseline AV product and can't be compared directly with other AV products.

I don't understand why you always seem to want to fight about everything, but you do, and its quite annoying; I could happily do without it (and just to cut the head off of this: I am not, have not, etc trying to get into a deathmatch over "obobski wants MSE and is fighting anyone who challenges it" - I suggested it primarily because its free and simple - there are more rigorous/aggressive products out there that do a marginally better job of providing security, but that also will more heavily impact user experience, and cost money).

MSE is "baseline" because its included by default with recent versions of Windows; it scored in the second cluster (putting it ahead of a number of paid products, including McAfee) and is perfectly acceptable for typical users and typical usage scenarios. If you need something more advanced, I'd suggest Comodo, which offers an integrated anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall/web browser solution that lets you browse in a VM sandbox among other security features (this is paid software, however). The other free products you've suggested aren't bad, but don't offer anything significant over MSE, and (IME) will beg the user for money, and (especially in the case of AVG) throw *lots* of false positives with many videogames and their content protection systems (which gets incredibly annoying). The "awards" thing (if you read through the page) was only dealing with real-time protection and handling of flagged web-pages and such (which is not indicative of how secure or reliable the program is). The rest of your post is unsubstantiated FUD, simple as that.

MBAM is a passive utility that is generally only needed if you're actively trying to remove malware, and truth be told good browsing habits and a secure browser goes *a lot* further than anti-virus these days, especially a passive scanner.

Edited by obobski

What Fighting?

Actually my fault, as the above links where intended for the OP.

Besides, everyone has the freedom to make their own choices i guess.

If you thing that Microsoft Essential is enough for an 100% secure environment, that's your probem.

So, my intention was to protect the OP, for securing his RIG as much as possible with some free AV programs.

You made your choice pretty clear. Let him do his own... :wink:

What Fighting?

Actually my fault, as the above links where intended for the OP.

Besides, everyone has the freedom to make their own choices i guess.

If you thing that Microsoft Essential is enough for an 100% secure environment, that's your probem.

So, my intention was to protect the OP, for securing his RIG as much as possible with some free AV programs.

You made your choice pretty clear. Let him do his own... :wink:

Re-read my post; "I am not, have not, etc trying to get into a deathmatch over "obobski wants MSE and is fighting anyone who challenges it" - I suggested it primarily because its free and simple."

I never said any of the other things you've attributed to me (and I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth) - I did not claim MSE (or any product) produces a "100% secure environment" (there is no such thing, especially on a Windows machine that has to be web-connected) nor did I mention anything about my own choices, what I do with my equipment, etc. So let's not go down that road and try to create a straw man, and let's not begin with the baseless appeals to morality and appeals to fear "my intention was to protect..." (because my implication you're saying other people aren't "looking out for OPs interests"). I suggested something that was quick'n'easy and provided two resources to evaluate a variety of other options (Windows Update and AV Comparatives), both of which fit into "let the person make up their own mind" (I've also suggested a few other products, and provided input from real-world usage experience on a few others).

Edited by obobski

Instead of jumping into the argument, I would recommend looking at this site:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

And choose the best anti-virus package that fits your needs.

There is no fight, from my side at least; I am not trying to champion any specific product over the next. Seriously, this is not a "MSE vs the world" or "my favorite product vs your favorite product" thread - portals to evaluate other options have been posted, and I'm genuinely pleased to see yet another source of AV comparisons (more info always being better, imho).

I posted a similar comparison (AV Comparatives), and similarly said (and I'm quoting myself here): "I suggested something that was quick'n'easy and provided two resources to evaluate a variety of other options (Windows Update and AV Comparatives), both of which fit into "let the person make up their own mind" (I've also suggested a few other products, and provided input from real-world usage experience on a few others)."