Making a Compatibility Patch

whatorthat

So: I'm working on Immersive Chargen Revised. One of my users wants me to make a patch for ICR that makes it compatible with Animated Morrowind. I followed the instruction listed in this guide, but instead of making the necessary changes seamlessly, I now have duplicates of the objects I changed in the patch floating around next to the ICR.esp versions.

Is there something I'm missing--or some step the guide forgets? I found another guide for oblivion that asks you to esm-ify the esps so the patch can call on the original respective mods, but once you change the esms back to esps, the patch causes a CTD when it can't find, say, ICR.esm.

Any help is much appreciated! Step-by-step instructions would be lovely if anyone knows where I can find them.

Edited by whatorthat

There are two methods for creating the patch in the guide. The guide doesn't make it clear when to use which.

Most of the time 'Additional ESP' method woks. But sometimes, when it involves 'references' added/modified by ESP, then 'Overwrite ESP' needs to be used, that to which originally added/modified the references. The main problem is ESPs cannot influence references added by another ESP. Changes from both your mod and the Animated morrowind is implemented. Hence two instances of objects. Note that this type of conflict only occurs for references, not when altering objects itself.

Edited by hollaajith

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the reply!

I need a bit more advice, however. Animated Morrowind adds refs that conflict with ICR. I don't want to change too much about the relevant cell in ICR.esp to make room for the AM-added refs, but I'm concerned about having to edit AM.esp every time it updates. Is there any way to copy an entire cell from one (outdated) esp to another (newer) esp? Or something else to streamline the cross-mod updating process? Or is doing it manually my best bet?