Editing materials in Nifskope?

lazyskeever

I am wondering if it's possible to change the havok (I'm going to assume it's havok...) material properties for certain parts of .nif meshes in Nifskope. I want to do this on a couple of Skyrim tileset meshes that seem to either have inappropriate materials (like metal for the stone stairs to the Skyforge) or no material at all. I notice this stuff from the footstep sounds the surfaces trigger, since footsteps are derived from the assigned material type on the mesh AFAIK.

Edit: Nevermind I misread. This gets extra confusing when it's under the assumption that you are working with your own 3D models.

Edit 2: Well, I followed the instructions to the letter, using wrintcastleplatstairs01.nif (the wide wooden stairs in the Dragonsreach throne room) as a guiena pig, since that one notiously lacks sounds for the stair pieces. Checked the processed .nif afterwards and everything looked fine with the new wood material listed under the chunk materials and all. But the steps are still silent ingame :-/

Strangely enough the wooden floor part on the sides are working as intended, and they are technically joined together with the steps as the same NiTriShape. No idea why they still aren't triggering footsteps.

Edit: Nevermind I misread. This gets extra confusing when it's under the assumption that you are working with your own 3D models.

Edit 2: Well, I followed the instructions to the letter, using wrintcastleplatstairs01.nif (the wide wooden stairs in the Dragonsreach throne room) as a guiena pig, since that one notiously lacks sounds for the stair pieces. Checked the processed .nif afterwards and everything looked fine with the new wood material listed under the chunk materials and all. But the steps are still silent ingame :-/

Strangely enough the wooden floor part on the sides are working as intended, and they are technically joined together with the steps as the same NiTriShape. No idea why they still aren't triggering footsteps.

I tried it myself. The stairs and the wooden floor part are one single NiTriShape so I only could choose one material type. (They must be splitted in a 3d program to have the choice of a specific material for each part.)

I chose SKY_HAV_MAT_STAIRS_WOOD for the whole mesh, left and right side. And it works for me ingame.

Here is my edited nif: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg7kle6rl56czi7/wrintcastleplatstairs01.nif?dl=0