Need help with SWF files

DOOMBASED

If someone could point me to where I could learn to modify these SWF files... I have a mod I want to move around the Perk animations on the Perk Menu. This is the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7174/?

I want to learn to move the animations around on the menu a bit or if someone could help me out that would be awesome too. Thanks in advance.

assuming the SWF files are actually Adobe Shockwave Flash format...

you want to learn how to do Flash, or just modify existing files?

go to Adobe's website to find tutorials on how to program in Flash.

I learned it from the ground up way back when macromedia still owned it (started with the first version even!), so I'm useless at knowing if there is some quick and dirty way to learn how to modify existing flash files.

It didn't used to be possible to actually decompile published SWF files to manipulate the existing elements again in Flash (they are compressed and the original file data removed), but maybe that's changed.

If not, then you need to contact the author of the SWF file you want to manipulate to get the original Flash files, and then change those in Flash itself (so that means contacting Beth!).

then, search Google for open source Flash editors, or else buy the professional Flash program from Adobe.

Edited by Sir_Toejam

you can try something like this to see if it is able to decompile the SWF files so you can edit them:

https://www.free-decompiler.com/flash/

but it really depends on how they finished the compiled SWF files. sometimes, you can leave the original templates and image files in them, but usually best practice is to remove everything unnecessary during the compile to save space. A quick look suggests they did leave enough data in most of their SWF files to play around with, so you might indeed be able to use that decompiler to edit the files to your liking, or at least decompile them enough so you can edit them in a different Flash editor and then recompile them. make sure you pay attention to whatever setttings were used during the compile (the program should give you that info somewhere when you open a file) and don't f*#@ with that, or it might not work when FO tries to load your now edited file.

good luck!

Edited by Sir_Toejam

• 5 months later...

I'm having similar problems editing SWF files. After decompiling them into FLA/ActionScript files and making my edits, I publish them (Im using Flash Pro CS6) and the file sizes are all wrong. Thru some trial and error, I discovered that when Adobe publishes the FLA back into SWF, it does not embed the script files with the SWF. Ive been loosing hair trying to figure out how to properly edit and recompile the SWF, but so far I'm stuck with editing SWFs that do not contain ActionScripts (Such as the Quest animations and the SPECIAL animations). If anyone knows how to do this properly, please share! It is entirely possible that we will need the source files from Bethesda themselves before a proper UI mod can be created.