Why more settlers mean less FPS ?

TheReagan

Hello everyone

i'd like to know why having more settlers mean less fps.

i've locked my game at 30 fps, mostly because while i was at 60, dropping down just to 55 it was stuttering, at least at 30 was fluid.

now my settlement is getting very full of things, mostly modded building and a tons of OCDecorator

at 20 settlers it's all ok , at 23 i'm getting huge fps drops .

i mean, from the thing they can do, i thought the ai of settlers was made on 2 and a half lines of codes.

joke aside, why the hell i'm getting such drops ?

there's eventually some kind of fix ?

im guessing adding anything extra to the game add fps drops they have their settlement limits coz adding more content just slows down the game.

its just like boston area theres so many npcs and building structures in there the game cant handle it.

im guessing it cant be fixed without buying a super computer.

the more things moving in a cell the more shadows there are and more geometry needed, which i guess equals less fps

Hello everyone

i'd like to know why having more settlers mean less fps.

i've locked my game at 30 fps, mostly because while i was at 60, dropping down just to 55 it was stuttering, at least at 30 was fluid.

now my settlement is getting very full of things, mostly modded building and a tons of OCDecorator

at 20 settlers it's all ok , at 23 i'm getting huge fps drops .

i mean, from the thing they can do, i thought the ai of settlers was made on 2 and a half lines of codes.

joke aside, why the hell i'm getting such drops ?

there's eventually some kind of fix ?

Hmmm... It was like asking why the traffic is slow when driving in an alley with speed limit,

the architecture of Bethesda Game is, uh, you know, not that finely debugged, lots of recursive stuff,

and also with your machine, i.e. physical restriction, make the game running slow. ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽

So, it can be solved by patches and upgrades ultimately, umm, theoretically. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by assanges

appreciate you answers , so it's more about polygons then the AI processing.

gonna try to see if i can clean something somewhere or reduce shadow details.

Thanks a lot to everyone :)

and yeah Assanges, it was kinda a stupid question XD

but i thought settlers , in particular, had an heavy load, even tho i'm tecnically in the number set by bethesda (but yeah, not the settlement objects tho)

appreciate you answers , so it's more about polygons then the AI processing.

gonna try to see if i can clean something somewhere or reduce shadow details.

Thanks a lot to everyone :smile:

and yeah Assanges, it was kinda a stupid question XD

but i thought settlers , in particular, had an heavy load, even tho i'm tecnically in the number set by bethesda (but yeah, not the settlement objects tho)

No one mentioned the memory impact. More items the game has to remember = more computer memory usage.

Not to mention, the bewildering mechanic that Bethesda introduced tying spawns to frame rate. On lower end PC's, like mine, it makes a big difference. Watching a friend play on a new PC with more RAM, VRAM, a better CPU and mobo: 20 settlements with 8-20 settlers in each, ENB preset running, everything at Ultra. As he moves around the map, he sees many more Minuteman patrols and BoS Vertibirds and patrols than I do. Nothing different in our actual game installations or mods, so we've pinned the issue down to frame-rate scaling of the game spawns.

I run a lower-end system with 8 settlements and about 8 settlers per settlement. No ENB preset, shadows almost completely turned off as well as decals and no mods with anything greater than 1K textures. I'm L60+ on current playthrough and I haven't seen a Minuteman patrol since I built my 5th settlement. BoS Vertibird insertions are almost non-existent.

It's just sad.