How to uninstall the Toolset? Help!

rosvitacousland

Shall I

(1) Uninstall the SQL Server compenents first, and the SQL management Studio afterwards?

or

(2) Uninstall the SQL management Studio first, and the SQL Server components afterwards?

or

(3) Uninstall only the SQL Server components, without uninstalling the SQL management Studio at all? (Seems to be that way, because you wrote something about unticking.)

Please remember that you have installed the Management Studio lately. When you deinstall now the SQL Server components (like Thandal suggested in his second post) then I recommend to reinstall the Management Studio (with SQL Server ) again before you reinstall the Toolset. The Toolset installation package includes the SQL 2005 Server. Untick that during the Toolset installation. Just follow the installation video tutorial (link in the installation document I have send you earlier).

The first folder you referenced is your "user profile" stuff. That's your saves, screenshots, settings, "\packages\core\override" (for mods) etc. That's always going to be in a different location, although not always on a different drive, from the game's "program files".

Oh, yes. I see.

Seems like your game's program files are installed under the "\Spiele\Sims" folder, (yes, I know "spiele" is Deutsch for "game") and those other folders you named are the normal ones for a DAO install. And yes, that's where the Toolset gets placed. You found it! :laugh:

Colour me impressed! :smile: I am glad, when someone's interested in my beautiful mother tongue... :thumbsup:

So I will

1. uninstall into the "Systemsteuerung" (= control panel) the two components of the MS SQL Server you've marked.

2. manually delete the DAO Toolset .exe file into the folder "Tools".

Correct?

3. Do I have to delete manually any other files into the folder "Tools"? I made two pictures (top and bottom of the folder "Tools"). Would you mind looking at it, please?

Edited by rosvitacousland

You should delete the entire "\Tools" folder. It was created, and everything in it was placed there, when you ran the Toolset installation.

As previously noted, the Toolset itself doesn't really "install" the way a Windows program normally would (e.g. it doesn't appear in Control Panel's list of programs.) That's one of the reason for using a registry cleaner after you remove it.

As for which "MS SQL" programs to remove... that's harder for me to answer. SQL installations are tricky. Various pieces can interact in non-obvious ways and I have very little direct experience with how it all works (even though I have lots of experience using SQL DBs!) I'd start with removing just the "Compact Edition" one. But be prepared to continue removing them (one-by-one, testing after each, like mods) if necessary.

Maybe someone else has a better perspective?

Good Luck!

Shall I

(1) Uninstall the SQL Server compenents first, and the SQL management Studio afterwards?

or

(2) Uninstall the SQL management Studio first, and the SQL Server components afterwards?

or

(3) Uninstall only the SQL Server components, without uninstalling the SQL management Studio at all? (Seems to be that way, because you wrote something about unticking.)

A priori it is nearly inpossible to guess which components and in which order to deinstall them. I have a lot of experiences with SQL databases as well but never encountered the necessity to deinstall the server functionality. I would choose (2).

By unticking I meant these checkboxes during the toolset installation:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/YaraCousland/checkboxes.jpg

Otherwise you will install the SQL Express bundle which is included in the toolset installation package. It will be easier for you to configure the database connection if you will reinstall in the folllowing order:

1. Toolset

2. MS SQL 2005 Express (creating a named instance: BWDATOOLSET instead of a default instance druing the setup)

3. Management Studio

After these steps you can create in the Management Studio a new database which you can name bw_dragonage_content. Next follows the restore of the backup of the original database. Which you can locate in your Dragon Age installation path under Dragon Age\tools\dbbak. Just watch the video of DarkAcidBlue where all these steps are covered.

It is not the only way to do it. But the video is a good visual guide how to set it up.

@Thandal, it may depend on the OS if there is a toolset entry in the control pale or not. Anyway, Rosvita hasn´t.

Edited by YaraC

<snip>

@Thandal, it may depend on the OS if there is a toolset entry in the control pale or not. Anyway, Rosvita hasn´t.

You are so right! Here's another view of my Installed Programs list in the Control Panel:

http://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/images/140/1678793-1452816178.png

So rosvitacousland, you don't see "Dragon Age Toolset" in yours?

@ Thandal, it would surprise me if rosvitacousland would have overlooked it ;) She told me 'No' in a pm exchange in German. That´s when I came up with the CCleaner as well.

I have a suspicion that her installation procedure was not terminated regularly. No entry in the control panel, no SP resources available...

Just start cleaning, Rosvita. It can´t get much worser. ;)

1. I don't know "OS". Is that something with apple?

So rosvitacousland, you don't see "Dragon Age Toolset" in yours?

2. I checked it. I really haven't got the Dragon Age Toolset in the "Systemsteuerung" (= Control Panel). Just in case I took a photo: see attachement, please! (Letters -"Dra..."-)

3. Do I have to uninstall the program "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client", too? (It is in the "Systemsteuerung".)

4. By the way, how do you insert some photos directly here in text? Some moderator's privilege?

5. I am afraid of this registry. I took some photos of the list in the CCleaner. Would you mind having a look at it, please? (Next Posting)

@ Thandal, it would surprise me if rosvitacousland would have overlooked it :wink: She told me 'No' in a pm exchange in German. That´s when I came up with the CCleaner as well.

I have a suspicion that her installation procedure was not terminated regularly. No entry in the control panel, no SP resources available...

Just start cleaning, Rosvita. It can´t get much worser. :wink:

Hi Yara,

thank you so much for your help!

However I am very afraid about the registry...

There had been some files with the "toolset" in their names. But I am not sure about the others. I don't want to break the whole pc.

Regards

rosvita

1. I don't know "OS". Is that something with apple?

No, sorry. OS means Operating System. The remark has no more relevance.

3. Do I have to uninstall the program "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client", too?

Hmh, both - MS SQL Server native Client and MS SQL VSS Writer are configured during the toolset installation. Installation dates from January 2014.

I have no idea if these components have been installed by other application setups.

However I am very afraid about the registry...

There had been some files with the "toolset" in their names. But I am not sure about the others. I don't want to break the whole pc.

Have you already deleted manually the tools folder as Thandal suggested earlier?

The search in the tab Registry Cleaner lists only errors in the registry. e.g. entries to DLLs which are already missing on your disk, path information which is not anylonger valid (because some programme deinstallations routines still leave traces in the registry), entries to files which are out of date and not longer used because there are newer file versions or entries for temporary files (installer, MUI cache)

It is very unlikely to break your pc when you clean up the registry with the Ccleaner. I have done this often, unlimited. (You have the choice to limit the search for errors to certain types.)

When you run 'Nach Fehler suchen' you can still exlude certain matches. (I wouldn´t.)

Nevertheless, when you run 'Fehler beheben' you get the opportunity to save these entries before the registry will be cleaned up. What you should always do. They will be exported to a reg file which could be reimported/ merged with the operating registry. Only in case...no software is perfect.

Edited by YaraC