Problem with a lot of castles mods!!

DavideMitra

Good afternoon!

I'm having some troubles with the installation of a castle/manor mod in order to play with them.

When I start playing Oblivion I can't find the castle which I have installed.. it doesn't appear in the world.

I have tried to download a lot of castle mods but the problem is the same.

I'm sure that I have installed the mods correctly: I have downloaded them, extracted them in the desktop, copied the esp (and the other folders, if there are other folders like meshes etc.) in the Oblivion Data folder, and finally in Data Files I tick the esp (and the esm if it exists)

What may I do in order to resolve this problem? Thanks a lot!

NOTES:

-Obviously in the Data Folder I didn't copy readme and images!

-All of the mods that I have downloaded don't require any expansion/patch.. only the normal Oblivion

Before everything else - if you are on Vista or Windows 7, use BBen46's uninstall/reinstall guide and move Oblivion to C:\Games\Oblivion, not the default install path.

Then make sure Oblivion is patched to v1.2.0416 - any other version may well not work with your mods.

Then you are ready to try and fix the problem if it still remains:

Firstly, download and install BOSS, and use it to sort your mod order. Generally, if you have more than one mod that changes a given area, the newest file date will win. BOSS alters this by changing the file dates so that the Oblivion game files are the oldest, then the mods in a specific order which is known to give minimal problems.

Secondly, download and install Wrye Bash. It's a bit complex, but allows mods which affect the SAME area to be merged to some extent and work together. Use the help file to work through making a Bashed Patch 0.esp file, and allow it to set THAT active and deactivate any mods it has merged into the patch.

That should sort out the problems, unless there is something you missed in the readmes.

Thank you..I downloaded the patch....but I can't install it. I tried to install it several times.

It appears an error:

PATCH ERROR

Old file not found. Howewer, a file of the same name was found.

No update since file contents do not match.

What do I have to do?

EDIT: I understood what was the problem..I can't install the patch because I don't have a CD that allows me to play Oblivion (I use crack).

Can I install the patch if I burn the game images into 2 CDs??

Edited by DavideMitra

You are better off just using the actual CD to play. I would uninstall with the saved games kept, and reinstall then update and add all your mods you have. For future reference, cracks and iso's are looked down at here, kind of hints towards piracy.

Judging by your use of English, although very clear and precise, you're not a native speaker, but if you are buying the Game of the Year edition I would strongly suggest the English language version for maximum compatibility with mods. Other localised language versions sometimes throw up some very odd errors with mods, and English language mods are most likely to work reliably as they are the most extensively downloaded and complained about if something is wrong. Also I don't know whether the Downloadable Content official expansions (referred to as DLC mods) are all available in other language versions, and some mods use those as pre-requisites. Edited by MarkInMKUK

• 2 weeks later...