armed controllable flying ship/base and assosciated quests

catspaw13

I haven't glanced through every single mod request, but I'm reasonably certian that this is something nobody has done, or at least not to this extent.

Basically, a controllable, armed, flying ship and assosciated characters, quests, areas and enemies.

Some time ago (I forgot who made it) I downloaded a mod that gave you your own castle, complete with teleporters and weather control device. It was huge and wonderful, and I especially liked changing the weather. But this got me thinking. It was cool, but it was an awful lot of unnecessary space. Everything that you really need in a base could be fit into a couple rooms, something the size of a modest house, couldn't it? It was so huge that I never did finish exploring it, and this caused some of the novelty to wear off.

So what's almost as cool as your own castle? Your own SHIP!

Now, this has been done before, in several mods that I know of, but I've never seen one that could move. If it can't move, how is it different from a house, even if its positioned up in the sky? (A flying ship is much cooler than a regular ship).

So a ship that can be controlled, or more specifically, a flying ship that can actually fly around. But that novelty would wear off, too, so what if the ship were armed? Possibly with some of those crystals found in the ruins that are always shooting magic at your character. Possibly a larger scale weapon as well.

Sounds cool, right? Well.... once again, the novelty would soon wear off, because there only so many places you could use it. You could hover over oblivion gates and pick off daedra, maybe, or slaughter everyone in imperial city, but the applications of an armed flying ship/base in oblivion are rather limited.

So... new enemies? Maybe other hostile flying ships? Possibly quests to find a crew for your flying ship? Maybe new areas to explore with it. There are details and plans, technicallities if you will, that I have in mind, but what I've suggested so far is quite a lot of work already. To flesh this idea out completely would require almost as much effort, so it appears to me, as creating a whole new game, and this is on par with the level of content implied.

There is already a Dwemer skyship. That might be a good starting point for what you are describing.

Expand that a bit - have a trading network using the skyship or ships. Then add in pirates with the same technology, and you have your combat situations.

Edited by MarkInMKUK