The Deep

kibblesticks

Hey everyone. I'm not too sure how to go about this as it's the first time I've tried to form a mod team but here goes...

I'm looking for enthusiastic modders to join me in creating an epic science fiction quest.

Something strange is happening beneath the surface of Lake Mead. NCR scouts have reported bright lights and tremors originating from the lake's bed. Could it be a secret base belonging to the Enclave or the Brotherhood? (I'll give you a hint, it isn't).

Embark on a journey that will take you further than any mod has ever taken you before (I'm hoping).

Originally I had intended to do everything myself. However, fairly early on in the project I realised I can't make quests in the GECK to save my life. It also takes me well over a week to get any item of clothing I try to make working properly.

NEEDED:

- Quest Maker: Someone with skill in creating quests and dialogue. I will provide all the scripts, timelines and NPCs and do as much of the work as I can. If something cannot be done then constructive criticism will be very welcome.

-Clothing maker: I actually only need one or two essential new items of clothing. I just need someone who can rig them and get them to work in game.

I have a notebook full of storylines, doodles and blueprints all relating to this mod. I can write the plot, make the models, and write the speech (and I've already done a fair amount of this). The quest making, though, I'm seriously hoping someone can help me with.

Below I'm putting some screenshots to show I'm not just an "idea-man". I really want to give this mod 100% but I'm going to need help.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the pretty screenies :laugh:

P.S. Before anyone posts a tutorial for quest making, I'm not saying I can't learn it, given enough time. But considering I've been modding on and off since Morrowind and still haven't picked it up, I think it's safe to say I'm not particularly gifted in that area =]

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1020871-1303137127.jpg

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1020871-1303137226.jpg

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1020871-1303137262.jpg

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1020871-1303137340.jpg

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1020871-1303137375.jpg

I have more screenshots but the nexus limits me to five every 24 hours so it's going to be tomorrow before I can show my new tileset :biggrin:

Edited by kibblesticks

majinshinsa, that's cool any experience is better than none, have you written any quests in the Geck before?

Jack0Knife, If this takes off, I'm definately going to need level creation skills. Don't put yourself down, I'd rather have a fun time making a crappy mod with enthusiastic people than be a taskmaster and demand everyone have a degree in game design before they can join in :tongue:

FearTheGuardian, lol thanks for the offer but I don't really need a "prof reader" =P misspelled words tend to jump out at me

I'm curious to know more about this mod. What is the basic story?

Also I usually upload my images to Photobucket and link them to here so I can post as many as I want.

Edited by SpeedyB64

i have only used quests for perks and changing scripts in them so i have a good idea about how they run and can be used for things other than quests. guess i should start learning how to use a quest properly lol

Ah thanks Speedy =D Never knew photobucket was free!

Just a warning, the plot sounds very cheesy when condensed down into a few paragraphs. I mean it IS cheesy but like I said, I have a notebook full of dialogue and backstory that will make it sound at least halfway realistic.

So you start the quest by talking to Lt.Davies at Camp Golf. This is a snippet of the dialogue I have put into the Geck so far (WIP):

Lt.Davies: Good, the situation is thus; Last night at around twenty one hundred hours Private Lewin sounded the alert.

Lewin claimed he could hear rumbling, such as might be made by heavy machinery.

A few seconds later there was a large explosion from the center of the lake.

You: So you think it was a howitser or something?

Lt.Davies: The superiors at Camp Golf thought so initially.

However after a few minutes of silence a handful of scouts were sent out to asses the threat.

They returned with the conclusion there were no hostiles in the area.

But stranger still, they claimed to have seen lights flickering beneath the water.

You: This is all very fascinating, but what do you need me for?

etc.. etc...

Basically you end up scouting out the place for clues as to what transpired at the Lake. You only lead is a strange man seen wandering the lake shore.

*spoilers to follow*

When you find the man you he tells you he needs your help in accessing a large structure that has risen from the bottom of the lake. He promises you will be well rewarded if you help him. After a quest to retrieve some bits and pieces from the lake bed, you discover the man is actually an alien being who has been living on Earth for millions of years, waiting for the emergence of a ship.

The ship belongs to a cult with members of many alien races who, after thousands of years of philisophical debate, have decided the only logical path is to destroy every sentient being in the universe, thus ending all pain and suffering everywhere.

The alien who helps you is a member of a robotic species known as Deep. I'm calling him Thompson for the moment. Thompson infiltrated the cult on behalf of the Deep and posed as one of their members. He discovered a plot to create a doomsday device. The device would allow the cult to realise their dream of universal destruction.

He managed to warn his people, but as the Deep fleet arrived to destroy the cult, the cult's flag ship took off, heading for the galaxy known as the Milky Way.

Thompson stowed away on board the ship just before it escaped.

Upon arriving in the Milky Way, the flagship came under heavy fire by the current inhabitants of the galaxy, the Blorgons. The Blorgons were highly terrotorial and had never had much interaction with the other species in the galaxy. As such, they were unaware that the ship they were firing on could potentially destroy the universe. They simply believed the ship was invading their territory.

This idea was enforced when moments later, a large section of the Deep fleet entered the area. The Blorgons turned their attention from the flagship and focused their firepower on what they believed to be an invading army. This gave the flagship a chance to escape.

However, the flagship had taken heavy damage, and as it entered the Sol system, its engines failed and it crash landed on Earth. With life support failing and hostile ships looking for them, the cult quickly came up with a plan to bury their ship deep within the earth until such a time as it could be repaired and made spaceworthy again.

Thompson managed to escape the ship just before it was buried but the rest of the cult stayed inside, safetly stored in stasis pods.

This is turning into a massive wall and could easily get bigger so I'll leave it there for now. Needless to say it's a large plotline spanning several galaxies. I want to convey the idea that the player is playing a small but significant part, in a much larger story.

Just so this isn't all words, here's a picture of one of the flagship's corridors and an example of a regenerator item which regenerates everyone within a given radius when dropped (thanks to Pelinor for the script :thumbsup: ).

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j454/kibblesticks/The%20Deep/Corridor.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j454/kibblesticks/The%20Deep/Gizmo.jpg

Nice one majinshinsa, well whenever you feel confident making a quest just drop me a PM and I'll send you a script if that's cool?

i will. i am also excited that my wife lets me mod now for 1-2 hours every night without bothering me. stupid women and their "needs" like "love" "attention" "help taking care of the youngens" lol