a question about installing multiple instances of Oblivion.

CasperTheLich

after using oblivion for quite some time, and not really swapping out one mod for another, i found i had a pile of mods that i would like to try; however, installing them will undoubtedly conflict with most of the "core" mods i'm using now. from time to time i thought about installing another instance of oblivion in an alternate directory. however, that would involve a lot of work, rebuilding my data folder in a fashion that wouldn't conflict with some of those new mods.

so my question would be something along the lines of:

if running different instances of oblivion is possible what prep work would be required. mainly, unless i'm missing something; keeping the save folders, & the oblivion.ini files from each instance from overwriting each other would be the big issue right? well if that's all i have to worry about, i think i have everything covered. so could someone let me know if I am actually missing something before i go ahead & do something stupid. -thanks

and if this isn't in the right spot for this post, my bad. didn't really get a good grasp of where such a post belongs. so if i'm wrong feel free to move this thread.

the utility I use for this is mTES4 Manager. It creates clone copies of Oblivion, with separated data and savegame folders. Just one word of warning - it takes 15 mins to make a clone copy of a vanilla(ish) install on my system, and if you do anything else while this happens one or two of the pop-up question boxes may "pop under" the main status screen and be awkward to get at.

Once running, when you change clones, allow it to sit for a while to complete moving files. I generally leave it for five minutes (a good time to go make coffee) and have never had a problem with incomplete file transfers. When I tried immediately switching to another clone (being a little indecisive) it corrupted the clone copy.

I use it to run 7 different copies, including one copy of Nehrim and one of Morroblivion

Edited by MarkInMKUK