No attributes? Am I the only one Worried?

BladeValant546

I was reading on Gamespot, and I learned they condensed all attributes down to Magicka, Health, And Stamina. Now this is not good trend, as most RPGs are becoming less complex, for the masses. I noticed there is no topics on this and judging by the community they should not liked this. For on this will get rid of diversity among characters aswell it makes me doubt the distinctions between on character from the next. Its a major concern, and please drones don't defend this this is NOT a good idea and its completely a dumbing down tactic.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the difference? If Strength is used to give a damage bonus and instead you give them the damage bonus directly, no difference. I like everything I have heard about the new leveling system, no more skill spamming just to level up decently.

What's the difference? If Strength is used to give a damage bonus and instead you give them the damage bonus directly, no difference. I like everything I have heard about the new leveling system, no more skill spamming just to level up decently.

All those skills affect more than damage dude. It affect how much you carry, how much armor you can have on your body, how much damage you could do with a weapon (aka like in real life you know a small guy swings a sword weaker than a stronger guy.). I can understand putting Strength and Endurance together and condensing, but just to those three things, those attributes government many things like personality and luck were are those PERKS? No work other than push a button? That what ES was about was grinding, sheesh just want a decent intelligent conversations bro, think critically and give me a good reason why not.

I like not having those atributes, if thay do a good job with skills and perks i would not be missing them, after all The Elder Scrolls games are more about the skills.

About complexity, best pen and paper rpg for me are the ones that are less complex, this applies to Pc RPGs, i only need enough complexity to build a good character. Less numbers makes better rpgs, because good rpgs are not about numbers.

As for dumbing down, i dont care, i only care about dumbing down when it affects gaming or changes a core aspect of the saga, i dont feel like some kind of elite so i dont have problems with masses understading how to play my games as long as it's a good experience for me and gives me enough freedom, and in my opinion, perks work better than atributes.

This is my post replying to someone in another thread on the same topic:

I really don't see why this should be worrisome. I can think of numerous ways that all these things that are normally handled by stats can be handled by something else. Perks, for one, skill levels can do some of these things perhaps, maybe even percentages of skills raised in a particular archetype contributes to something like magic regen or something else.

I do think the questions are good though. I would like to know the answers to them as well. I just don't think it's anything to be worried about.

Aside from that, I don't agree that things are necessarily being made less complex. Sure, STATS are being simplified. Can't get much simpler than being eliminated. However, skills are being made far more complex than they were before with perk trees that consist fo between 12-20 perks. That sounds like skills now have much greater complexity than the original stats had.

I like not having those atributes, if thay do a good job with skills and perks i would not be missing them, after all The Elder Scrolls games are more about the skills.

About complexity, best pen and paper rpg for me are the ones that are less complex, this applies to Pc RPGs, i only need enough complexity to build a good character. Less numbers makes better rpgs, because good rpgs are not about numbers.

As for dumbing down, i dont care, i only care about dumbing down when it affects gaming or changes a core aspect of the saga, i dont feel like some kind of elite so i dont have problems with masses understading how to play my games as long as it's a good experience for me and gives me enough freedom, and in my opinion, perks work better than atributes.

There is as vast difference of masses understanding and the gameplay being shallow. Numbers and math never work, that is why you let give them pictures (even thought people need to be smarter...) The thing about this is that is will kill the distinction between different characters. Now it all about what thing you USE rather than the full depth on how you build your character. Its not about the elite its about making the game the best it can be.

There is as vast difference of masses understanding and the gameplay being shallow. Numbers and math never work, that is why you let give them pictures (even thought people need to be smarter...) The thing about this is that is will kill the distinction between different characters. Now it all about what thing you USE rather than the full depth on how you build your character. Its not about the elite its about making the game the best it can be.

Well that's what it is about right? Having to build your character? I agree with Bethesda eliminating this aspect of the game for the same reasons they've stated that they did it. What they've done instead,, placing importance on what you use, still gives you all the same freedom that you had before without the drawbacks of having to build a character. I'd say that is an improvement.

I don't think it will kill the distinction between different character either. First, I'm sure there will be distinctions made between the races. Second, given the complexity of the skill trees now, I can't see how any characters could ever be anything but unique unless you make the exact same decisions all the time. Even if you use the same skills you can still choose different perks.

Besides, how distinct should your level 1 nord be from any other level 1 nord? He hasn't defined himself yet. Whats wrong with treating him as a blank slate and making him into what you want that defines him from all other characters?

I think it's really cool. All the Skyrim gameplay features seems toward only 1 goal; Mixed & Blended style of gameplay while detailed character customization.

There are no class regulation so we can enjoy rich mix of range/melee/magic. Skill & level up advancement has gone fairy freewheeling. Simple attributes will work as more organic bridge instead of stat accumulating and equipment restriction. From that open-substructure, the perks will be the main role of enhanced character operation.

Easy access to everything but more In-depth. This is the future generation of RPG!