Thieves Guild and Mercer Frey BS. really !

woodsman30

So, you want the game to recognise the order in which you do things, all your accomplishments, and adjust its delivery of storylines to account for those? The inability to do that isn't rushed or sloppy, it's impossible. The sheer number of variables available means that adjusting storylines in that way would require Bethesda writing, minimum, 6 questlines (base-line, Main quest, 2 other guilds, 2 factions for Civil War) for each story. Far, FAR more if they account for minor quests and secondary stories.

NO ONE had done that. It's highly probable that no one CAN do that. You might as well be complaining that humans can't breathe under water.

I don't remember saying I want that? Again you presume to much I promise you I do not care really..really. I am point things out that I find weird or just odd nothing more ..do you really think I believe a game can detect every veritable and adjust.. really? I and others are allowed last I knew to have opinions as you are. If you do not like what is said in this thread don't post or read it. I nor anyone who has posted here have broke any rules so we really don't need your criticism. Your opinion is noted ..move on... and let us have our fun and point out our quirks we find amusing.

So, you want the game to recognise the order in which you do things, all your accomplishments, and adjust its delivery of storylines to account for those? The inability to do that isn't rushed or sloppy, it's impossible. The sheer number of variables available means that adjusting storylines in that way would require Bethesda writing, minimum, 6 questlines (base-line, Main quest, 2 other guilds, 2 factions for Civil War) for each story. Far, FAR more if they account for minor quests and secondary stories.

NO ONE had done that. It's highly probable that no one CAN do that. You might as well be complaining that humans can't breathe under water.

I never said I wanted the game to recognize "all my accomplishments" But when I can pass by a city guard and they respond with dialog based on what I am currently doing, I think it's safe to say there are already systems in place within the game that can accomplish what I would be looking for.

I never said I wanted the game to recognize "all my accomplishments" But when I can pass by a city guard and they respond with dialog based on what I am currently doing, I think it's safe to say there are already systems in place within the game that can accomplish what I would be looking for.

I think the biggest problem isn't so much that the game CAN'T acknowledge everything, but that doing so would require them to write several storylines for each storyline. IE for the thieves guild: One where you are right off the cart and you ran away to riften; you are Dragonborn; Archmage of the Mages Guild; Companions; Fighter's Guild (or is that companions, I can't recall a fighter's guild in the game, am I just blanking on it or was there not one?) etc..

Not to mention the storylines if you are two or more of those in order for it to truly acknowledge.

Making the guards recognize accomplishments and saying a line is fairly easy: Just have a toggle (I do not know whether this is how Bethesda does it or not) to say where a person is in a questline (I know they have those) and in the dialogue window have it check for that toggle, if the quest is at the highest level simply have the guard use one of those lines, if not, the guard uses something else. The most it takes is having several different lines of dialogue. The game just picks the appropriate one.

As I said, for the game quests to acknowledge your progress and react accordingly, it is much more difficult because that means that not only does the game have to check for those toggles, but also have quest lines written up, and the mechanics for the quests already in place, which means, as I said, in essence doing several different quests for one side quest.

For instance: Brynjolf's opening quest: It would have to check first to see whether you have completed any of the other quests and which ones. Then it would have to pick the appropriate quest line to begin. If you are part of two or more factions and become head of them, then it would have to take that into account otherwise it might not make sense that it would see you are part of the companions and you have quests accordingly, but no one makes mention that you are also Archmage. The mechanics to do that are probably pretty easy, but it is the back end that is difficult:

For every quest they have to have NPCs, a location, the story to go with it, plan the ability (for instance where Brynjolf creates a diversion) and execute it. That can get complicated fast and then there comes the problem where you skip the lower 'plebe' quests and suddenly you have to break into a house and sneak around and steal something, without being caught. Yet you didn't use any of those skills to get to the head of the other factions. That is typically one of the main reasons most of the guilds/factions have you start off with easy quests and then go up from there.

And at the other end of the quest, the 'end game' they would need as many different endings as they had beginnings. Also, since you can stop any quest line and do another one, they would probably have to do the entire thieves guild quest line like that instead of just the beginning and ending as you might stop the thieves guild quest and go off to become Harbinger of the Companions, then a few TG quests later, you start eyeballing the archmage's slot. The game would have to be ready at any point in the quest lines to be able to account for other factions etc..

Yes, it is doable and it would be a FANTASTIC game if it was done, but it would be very complicated and time consuming. It might even be TOO complicated to account for all the possible permutations (archmage but not harbinger, Listener and Harbinger but not ARchmage, Dragonborn but not killed Alduin etc...) in order to properly do it.