Is Morrowind's main storyline any good?

KingMudkip

The major problem I have with Oblivion is that its main storyline is non-engaging and dull. Run around, do this, do that, kill more scamps than you ever want to meet... blech. Is Morrowind's any better?

In my opinion, Morrowind's storyline is fantastic. :woot: It is extremely well-written. You have absolutely no idea what you've gotten yourself into until about halfway through it. The expansions, Tribunal and Bloodmoon, respectively, continue the story in an equally impressive fashion.

I can't tell you too much without spoiling it for you, but let's just say your character seems far more important in Morrowind than he/she is in Oblivion. :wink:

There are no essential characters. Main Quest givers can actually be killed...though it does "break" the storyline.

The best part? No compass. That's right...you can actually get lost. And no fast travel to every place you discover, either. If the destination doesn't have a silt strider port, ship, or Mages Guild teleporter, you have to walk.

And there's a lot of places you have to walk to. :tongue:

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Morrowind's storyline is beautifully written. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but it is most definitely an original piece of work. A great thing about it is that you actually will have to put an effort into paying attention to it. You can't just click through the characters' dialogue and get the quests, read your journal, do them, and comprehend what the significance of your actions is. You actually have to read everything they say if you want the full experience.

It's also not like Oblivion, where people have about 5 dialogue options at most. In Morrowind, even the most insignificant person on the planet will have at least 10 things to say to you. Most of it, sure, isn't important, but if you'd like to learn about the world around you (Morrowind's environment is probably one of the most unique in any game ever made), then I'd suggest you make small talk with everyone you meet and see if you learn anything. Oh, and read books too. Not all of them are full of bland, boring, miscellaneous information like most of the ones in Oblivion. Many of them are central to quests. You'll need to read them if you want to understand the story.

Just another tip for you, since you sound like you're used to Oblivion: Explore. There's no telling what you may find. ;)

As they both said, Morrowind's quests are awesome. They make you do a lot more traveling compared to Oblivion I think, not fast travel only the silt strider. There are so many quest that are in each guild and maybe more in the actual main quest. There are so many thing you can do I still have not completed the whole game in all the years since its release. So I would think you would like the quest and the stories, which now that I remember even some of the guilds have a story to their quests. Puzzles and deadric shrines, and very unique creatures you will not see in any other game to come. Ah now I want to go play it again.

The only thing that would discourage one that comes from Oblivion is the graphics, dialogue, and combat/game play. They are all "older" but do not let that stop you. There are mods to help you. Morrowind is still my favorite game, until Skyrim comes at least.

Morrowind's story isn't good... Its great!

If you get put off by the bad graphics (remember, it was made in 2002!), you can always try the Morrowind Sounds and Graphics Overhaul. Its great, and gets it to at least 2005-06 graphics, but you have to have a system that can play Oblivion on at least High with 20 FPS or more. You also need the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions (which are great, and Tribunal adds even more to Morrowind's story).

Its a lot of fun to play. You don't have a compass or map marker telling you where to go like in Oblivion, however. On the mini-map, however, if the arrow faces up, you're going north. Just a tip :thumbsup:

I dedided to pick up Morrowind today, myself. I've played it before but I never completed the game or the expansions because Oblivion came out and I got side tracked. Also, I've never modded it. I've already picked up a few that fixed some of the things I remember not liking about Morrowind, but that only consists of about 3 mods....

I look forward to finally finishing it!

One of my favorite things about the Morrowind storyline, is that if you kill an important character, and get the scary message essentially saying, "You screwed up, buddy!", you can still manage to find a way around the gaping hole you blew in the plot, albeit in a rather difficult fashion (yes, without any cheating! :P ). Edited by IndorilTheGreat

• 5 months later...