Item Auto Add

falloutperson416

I wan't to make a certain item be automatically added to the players inventory upon starting the game. How can I do this? Is it just a Player.AddItem script, or something different?

It's like how you said, you can look at the examples where Doc Mitchel gives you your items at startup, they are in one of his quests:

NVGECK -> Edit -> Find Text -> before I forget

Select the first topic (re: Doc Mitchell Topic 76) then on the Infos section double click either one of the two entries.

After some waiting you'll get the full Quest VCG01 window open up with the Topics and you can select (one click) the relevant Info topic to see the various Result Script (Begin) and Result Script (End) and how the items get added.

There are lots of different scripts you probably don't have to use these ones but they do make decent examples.

P.S. Another cool way to do it would be like the Classic Pack does: awhile back I figured out that the .NAM file is what auto adds the items from the mod, it does it even when the plugin is not activated. That has its uses. I haven't looked at .NAM files at all so I don't know anything about them, other than it would be a cool way to add startup stuff without requiring a plugin. I've thought about making my own .NAM file to add a bunch of stuff to my own characters at startup, never got beyond the stage of thinking this "might be nice to have" though ... maybe someday.

Edited by drakeelvin

the problem i have with auto add is i dont always want everything so sometimes its a pain

The starter weapons are chosen according to tagged skills so things like that are a possiblity, check player attributes for example before giving an item.

Another way, depending on how many startup items you want to choose from, is that you could just add them to the mailbox right outside Doc Mitchell's house then take what you want when you make a new character.

If the items seem "too large" to fit in a mailbox, some modders put a crate somewhere in Doc's backyard. OK, maybe long rifles don't make sense in a crate, but it is possible to imagine that most of the crate is buried and only the very top is showing -- unless you leave the crate floating in mid-air, that would spoil the illusion :)

Edited by drakeelvin