I want to learn how to mod

ahycb

I would like to learn how to mod. If any of you can point me in the direction of some instructional resources you would recommend I would appreciate it. I know I can just Google how to mod FO4 but I would like to start my journey here.

I have been in a fire dept. for 19 years with the last 10 in the fire marshals office. I have experience with 3D modeling software. I should point out it is specifically for re-modeling structures after a fire so my knowledge is very specific.

Anyways thanks

Experience in 3D modeling software is a great start! What would you like to do with your mod? The scope of your planned mod will determine what you need to learn.

I want to start with a weapon, I had the UMP 45 in mind.

If you want a list of programs you should have,

Nifskope
FO4Edit
Bodyslide/outfit studio
And the material Editor

Those four are most of what you need to create your own files and convert models. There isn't a lot of videos on the internet about creating mods for fallout 4 yet, but I've created one that covers converting models you've made in Blender/Maya to a FO4 compatible nif if you want to check that out here

EDIT, Just saw your above post

If you want to make a weapon, you'll want to convert the model with the method in my video, then copy over a similar gun to a new file in FO4Edit and change the model in there. The video should cover everything you need

Edited by MikeMoore

If you want to make a weapon, you'll want to convert the model with the method in my video, then copy over a similar gun to a new file in FO4Edit and change the model in there. The video should cover everything you need

I'd save yourself some time and effort, download 3DS Max 2016 (Which is free if you dont plan on using it to make money) and the .nif plugin at https://github.com/figment/max_nif_plugin/releases

Then you can go straight from the modeler to nifskope without needing outfit studio.

i download nifscope and when i import nif file it fail to load pop up

for blender do we need a plug in (i try and it was a unsupport format,got a old version gonna try to update maybe that just it--or you need the !@#$%^&*() plugin)

Sadly no working plugin for blender to read FO4's .nifs yet (or probably ever). You'd have to convert it to a read able format first (.obj) with nifskope, then use something like outfit studio to convert it back to a .nif if you want to work with blender.

Think 3DS Max is the only application with a working plugin.

Outfit Studio that comes with Bodyslide is a must have. CBBE drives me crazy, but the tools are priceless.

As far as starting modding, I'd recommend getting your feet wet with some FO4 edit mods, retexturing, and stuff along those lines. Once you learn your way around FO4 Edit, and how Fallout works, there's not much you can't do fairly easy.

Outfit Studio that comes with Bodyslide is a must have. CBBE drives me crazy, but the tools are priceless.

As far as starting modding, I'd recommend getting your feet wet with some FO4 edit mods, retexturing, and stuff along those lines. Once you learn your way around FO4 Edit, and how Fallout works, there's not much you can't do fairly easy.

This is good advice. Tonicmole knows what they're talking about.