Stand-alone/Nifskope help...

Deleted4363562User

In the image below, you can see that I have somewhat successfully put together a nif consisting of multiple vanilla armor and clothing parts. The problem I have is the various leg armor pieces which, as it stands, don't point to anything in Nifskope. Those particular pieces I created in Maya, by deleting parts from the vanilla light combat armor (shins) and the vanilla sturdy leather armor (thighs). I plan on learning how to retexture them, but for the time being I would like to use the vanilla textures so I can get this in-game and fiddle with it.

I have multiple questions:

What does each texture slot with the purple gear actually mean?

Can I just write a path in any of them?

&

Since the leg armor meshes are cut from existing vanilla assets, will the stock vanilla textures work on them? My concern is that they are not the entire mesh the original texture was created for.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i352/alloutwillie/Mod%20Ideas/Untitled.jpg

Q: What does each texture slot with the purple gear actually mean?

A: Its a path you set for the game to use those specific textures. Not really needed if you use a Material file (which also has texture path assignments)

Q: Can I just write a path in any of them?

A: Well, yes you can write a new path to your own textures. Just compare which 'purple gear' icons to actually use. Not all are needed, just diffuse normal and spec for armors usually. Compare a vanilla mesh and you'll see what I mean. Also, remember that whatever material file is assigned to specific trishape will overwrite the 'purple gear' textures.

Q: Since the leg armor meshes are cut from existing vanilla assets, will the stock vanilla textures work on them?

A: Yes, so long as you did not alter the UV map in Maya or any other program. Note, though, that if you did anything other than just remove faces or move verts around then your UV map will get messed up. For example, if you welded two verts together that were not originally attached. That can sometimes make the UV map go crazy. Not always, but sometimes. Just be mindful of this.

Hope that helps.

Q: What does each texture slot with the purple gear actually mean?

A: Its a path you set for the game to use those specific textures. Not really needed if you use a Material file (which also has texture path assignments)

Q: Can I just write a path in any of them?

A: Well, yes you can write a new path to your own textures. Just compare which 'purple gear' icons to actually use. Not all are needed, just diffuse normal and spec for armors usually. Compare a vanilla mesh and you'll see what I mean. Also, remember that whatever material file is assigned to specific trishape will overwrite the 'purple gear' textures.

Q: Since the leg armor meshes are cut from existing vanilla assets, will the stock vanilla textures work on them?

A: Yes, so long as you did not alter the UV map in Maya or any other program. Note, though, that if you did anything other than just remove faces or move verts around then your UV map will get messed up. For example, if you welded two verts together that were not originally attached. That can sometimes make the UV map go crazy. Not always, but sometimes. Just be mindful of this.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you. Although...when you write 'purple gear' I somehow feel very stupid for having written that. lol.

Anyway, I knew that they were texture paths, I just didn't know if a specific path did something special. When looking at other mods and nifs, I saw that sometimes the paths were placed somewhat randomly. One three rows down. Another only one row down. I didn't know if that made any difference for did something particular.

Again, thank you very much.

You know, it was amusing reading your replies. I do that all the time, its ok. Yes, the order from top to bottom for the texture assignments I believe (don't quote me on this) do indeed matter. There will be blank lines, because different meshes use different shader properties. Some might use glow maps or cube maps and so on. You'll almost always use a diffuse/normal/spec map though. Those are staples.

Anyway, glad you've got it sorted out !

Assigning the material always seemed to assign the proper paths for me, I could be wrong tho.

Yes, there is no need really for assigning texture paths in Nifskope if you are using a Material file. As to Nifskope doing this automatically (if that's what you meant) - no, the current state of Nifskope for FO4 does not do this. I can change the Material path for a specific trishape all day long and the texture paths (purple gear, lol - I like that term now !) for that trishape will not be updated within Nifskope.