Modding details? Ask away!

Amineri

Abilities can't be done via config... you'll have to create a new unrealscript file to create a template for the ability, then implement the gameplay effect and any visualization. Requires SDK.

Look at the source file X2Ability_DefaultAbilities for some examples of this.

Thanks! Managed to make some changes to the grenadier's abilities.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I have a problem with updating my mod via the SDK. Whenever I hit publish mod and then hit "update", it goes through the preparing and uploading process before hanging on UpdateStatusInvalid. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I initially began this mod with a simple .ini change to XcomGameData.ini to eliminate doom generation. Obviously that wasn't sufficient, so I extended XComGameState_Headquarters.uc (which I know is serialized into the gamesave, so a new game is required) with a new class, tested it, it works on a new game... I just can't seem to update my mod. Any advice?

I get the same problem if I start a new project and try to publish the mod as a new mod on the workshop as well.

E: Okay once I removed XComGameState_Headquarters.uc I could upload the mod as a new workshop mod, but when I open the original solution I still can't update the mod without getting k_EItemUpdateStatusInvalid 0 of 0 MB. There's nothing in the error box either.

I'd rather not have to create a new mod entirely if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Vazeron1

Hi! I have a problem with updating my mod via the SDK. Whenever I hit publish mod and then hit "update", it goes through the preparing and uploading process before hanging on UpdateStatusInvalid. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I initially began this mod with a simple .ini change to XcomGameData.ini to eliminate doom generation. Obviously that wasn't sufficient, so I extended XComGameState_Headquarters.uc (which I know is serialized into the gamesave, so a new game is required) with a new class, tested it, it works on a new game... I just can't seem to update my mod. Any advice?

I get the same problem if I start a new project and try to publish the mod as a new mod on the workshop as well.

E: Okay once I removed XComGameState_Headquarters.uc I could upload the mod as a new workshop mod, but when I open the original solution I still can't update the mod without getting k_EItemUpdateStatusInvalid 0 of 0 MB. There's nothing in the error box either.

I'd rather not have to create a new mod entirely if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Sadly I can't help much here, as johnnylump has handled all of the Steam-side publishing stuff so far, so hopefully he'll be able to drop in and give a hand.

Hrm, not sure how to help here -- the only issue I ran into when uploading involved the mod preview image, which goes in the root folder with the readme. Needs to be a jpeg below a certain size -- the uploader will reject the mod without it, or if it's too big. Didn't otherwise hit any problems that I recall.

I want to retexture a few things, Shen's shirt for example. Can someone walk me through the process? I did a search, but came up empty.

Thanks.

By the way, I have no idea how to use the mod buddy. There aren't any beginner tutorials yet.

Texturing and such I'll have to defer to the artists like JC Lewis, though I'm not sure if he's lurking around here yet.

I can handle all of the art, I just need to know how to extract the correct files and then repack them into the game. I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know how to use the tools yet.

Thanks for the help you're providing.

I have a couple questions about file structure, specifically what is and isn't strictly necessary for a mod. I have a mod that just rewrites one of the base .uc files. Not extending it, just changing the implementations. The mod, by default, wants to add three .ini entries:

1) XComGame.ini:

[ArmorUtilitySlots.X2DownloadableContentInfo_ArmorUtilitySlots]
DLCIdentifier="SomeModNameHere"
Is this necessary, and what does it do? Adds "SomeModNameHere" to the launcher?
2) XComEditor.ini:
[ModPackages]
+ModPackages=ModProjectNameHere
Is this necessary, and what does it do, and how is it different than DLCIdentifier?
3) XComEngine.ini:
[Engine.ScriptPackages]
+NonNativePackages=ModProjectNameHere
Is this necessary, and what does it do, and will the game recognize the mod without it?

Thanks for the help you're providing.

I have a couple questions about file structure, specifically what is and isn't strictly necessary for a mod. I have a mod that just rewrites one of the base .uc files. Not extending it, just changing the implementations. The mod, by default, wants to add three .ini entries:

1) XComGame.ini:

[ArmorUtilitySlots.X2DownloadableContentInfo_ArmorUtilitySlots]
DLCIdentifier="SomeModNameHere"
Is this necessary, and what does it do? Adds "SomeModNameHere" to the launcher?
2) XComEditor.ini:
[ModPackages]
+ModPackages=ModProjectNameHere
Is this necessary, and what does it do, and how is it different than DLCIdentifier?
3) XComEngine.ini:
[Engine.ScriptPackages]
+NonNativePackages=ModProjectNameHere
Is this necessary, and what does it do, and will the game recognize the mod without it?

#3 I know is necessary, but it's primarily used during the BUILD step, not at run-time. If you don't have it, your script *.uc files won't be built into a *.u file.

#2 I'm less sure of what specifically it does, but I always include it anyhow

#1 is really only necessary if you are creating a child of X2DownloadableContentInfo, and the only reason to do that is to implement the two hooks it provides -- updating the game when starting a new campaign, and updating an existing campaign when loaded with the mod active for the first time. If none of this applies, #1 isn't needed. However, I've gotten in the habit of just always including so I'm reminded to consider whether the mods needs to handle those cases.

I can handle all of the art, I just need to know how to extract the correct files and then repack them into the game. I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know how to use the tools yet.

Well, some of that I can address. All of that will be done in Unreal Editor. The starting page for the UDK 3 documentation on that is here : https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/EditorAndToolsHome.html

Textures can be imported and exported into a *.upk file using this. Textures are bound to materials. Materials are applied to meshes. Meshes are configured via archetypes, and archetypes are referenced/configured by code.

For replacement, probably the best bet is to copy the existing archetype to a new package by the same name in your mod content folder. That way the package.file path to the archetype will be the same, and the mod version should override the base game version. Alternatively, if it is configured in DefaultContent/XComContent, you could mod that config file to match your new package.file path.