Modding details? Ask away!

Amineri

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can handle all of the art, I just need to know how to extract the correct files and then repack them into the game. I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know how to use the tools yet.

Well, some of that I can address. All of that will be done in Unreal Editor. The starting page for the UDK 3 documentation on that is here : https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/EditorAndToolsHome.html

Textures can be imported and exported into a *.upk file using this. Textures are bound to materials. Materials are applied to meshes. Meshes are configured via archetypes, and archetypes are referenced/configured by code.

For replacement, probably the best bet is to copy the existing archetype to a new package by the same name in your mod content folder. That way the package.file path to the archetype will be the same, and the mod version should override the base game version. Alternatively, if it is configured in DefaultContent/XComContent, you could mod that config file to match your new package.file path.

Well, that all seems complicated. I'm sure it's simpler than it sounds. I get what your are saying about replacing the archetype and I think I can figure out where to find the models and textures. But I'm stuck on the basics of mod building. Soon, someone will make a step by step tutorial for the modbuddy. Right now, I can't make head nor tails of that thing. I'll get it eventually and I have patience enough to wait.

Thanks for replying and great work with your mods. I'm really enjoying the sub-machine guns. It goes great with the Psi-op class.

Edited by aariq

Is there a way to do fallbacks for missing soldier customization mods?

Like, if I share my modded Danish soldier with someone that doesn't have the mod, can I make it so he'll show up as a specific default nationality instead of the weird state nation-less it'd currently go int?

I would like an extra hard core challenge and I'm trying to figure out how to make these things. If you know please point me to the right INI file and values to change:

I'd like to make the sky Rangers slower so that flying between spots on the game board takes more time and is more costly as a result. It wastes more time. How do I change that?

How do I modify the fact that enemies don't get close range aimbonus like they should? how do I give them the close range proximity bonus to aim?

The aliens are moving and suiciding into my overwatch even though they have good hardcover. How do I modify the AI file so that enemies prioritize staying in high cover over moving just for the sake of moving?

How do I make the aliens use the grenades more because they're really strong and really under used?

How to mod dark events and make them more scary?

How to change which soldier rank is available at HQ to recruit after which month? It's way silly to just get COL for 270 supplies :tongue: Dont want that.

Hi Amineri, I appreciate everything you and the LW team have done for the XCOM community and hope we can carry on in your footsteps. You've made XCOM worth playing for months on end and now with your team's release day workshop items, I'm finding myself wanting to contribute now.

I've managed to add more than the default 6 max soldiers in a squad through editing the INI but am now trying to remedy the problem of not being able to select individual soldiers past the normal 6 through the squad select screen. I've come across the line

const LIST_ITEM_PADDING = 6;

found in UISquadSelect.uc and changed it to 10 as well as changing the

[XComGame.UISquadSelect]
MaxDisplayedSlots=6

value in the XComUI.ini to 10 but am having no such luck. The extra boxes do display but have no functionality/content/info. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this task? Thanks again for the help you've given to everyone!

I would like an extra hard core challenge and I'm trying to figure out how to make these things. If you know please point me to the right INI file and values to change:

I'd like to make the sky Rangers slower so that flying between spots on the game board takes more time and is more costly as a result. It wastes more time. How do I change that?

How do I modify the fact that enemies don't get close range aimbonus like they should? how do I give them the close range proximity bonus to aim?

The aliens are moving and suiciding into my overwatch even though they have good hardcover. How do I modify the AI file so that enemies prioritize staying in high cover over moving just for the sake of moving?

How do I make the aliens use the grenades more because they're really strong and really under used?

How to mod dark events and make them more scary?

How to change which soldier rank is available at HQ to recruit after which month? It's way silly to just get COL for 270 supplies :tongue: Dont want that.

Hi Joyfulrogue, many of the values you would like to change are mentioned in this article http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-tweak-xcom-2-ini-files-for-fun-and-danger/

Around the top of the article, they list important inis related to many of your questions. I hope you find what you are looking for.

EDIT: Looks like someone literally just solved my problem like an hour after I posted this; to anyone else looking for the same solution, check out the Max Squad Size Fix by hairlessOrphan on Nexus or workshop.

Edited by illuminazn

For some reason my weapon mod can be selected, but the model itself does not appear. Any clue as to what could be the cause of this? Just ask if you need screenshots of the script and such. Pic related is what's happening.http://i.imgur.com/ZruILEx.jpg

Well, I am still stuck with changing the XComMissions.ini and other through the SDK but well, I have been reading through the scripts a lot now in pursuit for other values with some success but I am missing four types of damage values:

-Acid Damage

-Burn Damage

-Damage from the environment (exploding cars, trains &c)

-Damage from dying/exploding enemies (like Sectopods)

I think I was able to cover any other type of damage, HP and Armor and multiply them by 10 without breaking anything (gave the first ADVENT 500HP) so all those could be balanced (it's just a tad difficul to to deal with these PlusOne which are not always 50, like, did you know? Default Frag Grenades do 4 damage instead of 3 with a chance of mere 20%), I'd really like to simply make them PlusTen).

Are those four by any chance depended on some variables? If so, where are those? I tried looking around, mainly around the X2Effect, X2Action and X2Ability but I don't see much regarding, well, numbers I could use. Funnily enough Poison damage is specified... and well, tbh I may be missing VIP's HP as well.