FNV crashes on game load Dual Monitors (using DisplayLink)

Demeggy

Morning all.

I've been looking for a specific resolution for the past couple of days now since upgrading to a dual monitor setup. I've never had issues before with New Vegas, until now.

I bought a VGA monitor, same spec as my current vga screen, and realised the second port on my GTX 750 was for a DVI-D 24+1 adaptor. I've only got 24+5 pin adaptors, so I had to borrow a DisplayLink adaptor from my office. The monitor itself works fine, most games (Fallout 4 etc) work without issue on either of the screens - however, New Vegas crashes as soon as it starts loading up the game itself.

I can get past the intro screens, past the main menu, load an existing or start a new save, and as soon as it's about to plonk me in world, CTD.

I've tried various things;

- NVAC

- Game Companion

- Deleting all of the .ini files

- Reinstalling New Vegas

- Reverifying integrity of game cache via Steam

- Changing res settings to match the screen output (I normally play in windowed mode for dev purposes)

- Tried accessing the NVidia control panel, however there's a known issue with DisplayLink conflicting with NVidia drivers and prevents the control panel from loading properly

Now the reason I know it's a problem with my monitor, is because by disabling the adaptor, and reverting to 1 screen - Ta Da! It works.

If anyone can assist, that'd be hugely appreciated,

Thanks,

Demeggy

I've been using a dual monitor setup with a nVidia GTX 760 (using DVI-D 24+1 cable connections) for my entire FNV experience. So the game itself has no problem with it.

I don't see a DVI-D connector on the back of the DisplayLink unit on their webpage (just USB?). I also note it is a "wireless" connected device. That it interferes with the nVida Control Panel is another strike against it. My suspicion is that is just too many compromises to the DVI-D standard for the video card. Not all games utilize all the pins, but when they do, there is no getting around it. Sounds like your situation.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent