Balanced enemy AI for use with companions.

Ghoulz

Script it every 3-5 seconds or so until it checks who's attacking the AI and they will turn their attacks on the player or companion who's attacking them. If it's a single AI that's being ganged up on they'll attack the last person who attacked them during the count out.

I do not like it one bit of only having the option of letting every AI take out your summon/companion first, or using a mod that has the AI completely ignore them until you kick the bucket.

I'd suggest "Attack whoever is hurting them the most", as the best method is to kill off the most dangerous attacker, then the next, and so down. You could also build in a bias towards taking out the ranged attackers first unless the melee attack is overwhelmingly powerful, as often an archer or mage is hitting pretty darn hard.

Scripting AI is difficult? Most people request armor n' stuff.

The problem is that if you want to do this, you'll have to put the script on every NPC. So unless someone is willing to go through every NPC that already has a script and modify them, this will not be happening.

The problem is that if you want to do this, you'll have to put the script on every NPC. So unless someone is willing to go through every NPC that already has a script and modify them, this will not be happening.

Not necessarily. You could have a quest script firing at whatever interval you feel like, which would summon an activator to the players location, and then cast an area effect script spell, which will impact every actor in combat range of the player, and then you can use the script effect of the spell to determine the actors target, etc etc. I think it could be done without massive changes to every NPC/creature.

That's a great idea. But when I tried to think of how to actually implement the script, I couldn't do it.

At first I thought that using a spell effect won't work, because spell scripts can only use ScriptEffectStart, ScriptEffectUpdate, and ScriptEffectFinish blocks. But then I figured out I could use OBSE's SetScript function to change the NPC's actual script for the duration of the spell.

But then I ran into trouble. I can't find any way for an NPC to detect the person attacking him/her/it. Apparently GetActionRef does not work for an OnHit block.

Aren't things like bandits and skeletons generic and random? They still have to be individually altered?