In-Game X,Y coord Display?

codepoet

Being a beginning modder, I find one of my biggest problems is actually finding the location I'll be working on for the first time (not including interiors of course) . I was wondering if anyone knew of a Modders resource or a mod that displays the X,Y coordinate of your current location while you are in the game? I imagine this can be done through the console though I don't know how even if I did it wouldn't do me any good since I cannot open the console dispite my best efforts.

Using near by locations to find where I need to be in the G.E.C.K works just fine in most cases but the next mod I'm working on will take me to soo many different locations that having a tool like I mentioned would save so much time. I've done a bit of searching with no luck, I was hoping maybe some one had a personal file or could offer me some advice how to better resolve this? I'll be working with a lot of Unmarked, Unamed wilderness locations and any help would be great!

Thank you,

cp

I imagine this can be done through the console though I don't know how even if I did it wouldn't do me any good since I cannot open the console dispite my best efforts.

don't know if there's a mod like what you're looking for, but you open the console with the ~ key on us-keyboards, with ^ on a german one (which is the key left of the 1-key), and for uk-keyboards, it says something about a "not-key" here fallout.wikia.com, this also links to a complete list of available console commands, maybe you can find something there (on a brief look, i couldn't). not much, but still hope that helps a bit...

p.s.:

* Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

"take your time, think a lot / think of everything you've got / for you may still be here tomorrow / but your dreams may not", like cat stevens once said... :-)

Edited by stevie70

Yeah, I understand that. I found a way to find the actual coordinates in-game using a mod. But I'm wondering how bethesda gets the World Space version of the coordinates. For example..

Standing on the goodsprings Travel Marker. The Coordinates are (X: -70992, Y: 2560) now in the g.e.c.k. that translates to the world space of -18,0. How are they getting this value? Are coordinates and world space coordinates even the same, are theylinked? Is there a formula I can get World Space coordinates from (what i'm calling.. sorry if it's the wrong terminology) "raw" coordinates? Dang I hope this isn't totally confusing, anyone follow?

LoL thanks for taking the time to try and help!

Thanks,

cp

@stevie70

"take your time, think a lot / think of everything you've got / for you may still be here tomorrow / but your dreams may not", like cat stevens once said... :-)

Interestingly close! "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." was actually a quote I took from Mark Twain.

Edited by codepoet

Yeah, I understand that. I found a way to find the actual coordinates in-game using a mod. But I'm wondering how bethesda gets the World Space version of the coordinates. For example..

Standing on the goodsprings Travel Marker. The Coordinates are (X: -70992, Y: 2560) now in the g.e.c.k. that translates to the world space of -18,0. How are they getting this value? Are coordinates and world space coordinates even the same, are theylinked? Is there a formula I can get World Space coordinates from (what i'm calling.. sorry if it's the wrong terminology) "raw" coordinates? Dang I hope this isn't totally confusing, anyone follow?

The magic number is 4096. See the Units page on the GECK Wiki.

-70,992 / 4096 = -17.something => Grid -18

2560 / 4096 = 0.something => Grid 0

@ tunaisafish

The magic number is 4096. See the Units page on the GECK Wiki.

-70,992 / 4096 = -17.something => Grid -18

2560 / 4096 = 0.something => Grid 0

Dang, thank you tunaisafish!! This is exactly what I was looking for. A little divison and I'll be set each time with out spending 45 minutes looking around in Geck. Should have known to check the Geck Wiki.

This may be even worth putting into a mod now.

Huge Thanks,

cp

if you made a mod to display coordinates on screen, I would download it, it would be a wonderful addition to my HuD. and I think it would work well in other mods allowing modders to give coordinates in notes and what not to tell you where to go without providing a pointing arrow right to the quest location. Also would be handy for other modders when creating mods.

• 4 weeks later...