Problem adding new ammo type

I'm trying to make a new ammo type I have for this gun in my game so that when the gun fires this new ammo type, the bullet explodes.

The problem is, I can't seem to access the 3d model for the bullet or the muzzle flash. When I want to add them in, all I see is a folder with nothing in it.

What do I need to do?

I'm trying to make a new ammo type I have for this gun in my game so that when the gun fires this new ammo type, the bullet explodes.

The problem is, I can't seem to access the 3d model for the bullet or the muzzle flash. When I want to add them in, all I see is a folder with nothing in it.

What do I need to do?

Most likely what you are looking for is in one of the BSA files in the Data folder. If you have FOMM installed you can use the BSA function in the FOMM tool bar to view the various BSA files. They are BIG files. FOMM shows them as a continuous list . You can use FOMM to extract a BSA file to a new folder which I find easier than sorting through a bazillion nifs. Once extracted everything is in individusl folders by category. I ran into a similar problem with a texture. I could not find it and then found it in one of the BSA's. I extracted, made my own custom folder and put in the texture file in the DATA folder and linked to it via the GECK armor edit template.

If you do not have FOMM not a problem becuase there are a few BSA tools available. BSA commander used to be a popular one and I am sure that you can find a stand alone BSA tool here at NEXUS somewhere.

If you are adding your own custom textures then use the mesh and texture folders in the DATA folder. If you have already done that then it sounds like you may be using an incorrect file ext and GECK does not recognize your files. As far as I know Geck will only recognize .nif files. I may be wrong there but I do not think so.

Edited by deu58

deu58, I tried your method to find the BSA folders.

However, when I click on BSA Browser and go to the meshes, nothing is still there.

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Okay, wait never mind. I got it.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, do you know how to add a new ammo type as a class of ammo that can be interchangeable?(e.g: .50 caliber high explosive rounds can be interchangeable with regular .50 caliber rounds)

Edited by Courier07

Hmmmm no I have never tried it but if I were doing this blind the first place I would look would be in the form lists section of the object window menu. I know that there are repair lists there that you can add items to make them valid repair items for an item class in game. For instance you could add a fire axe to the leather armor repair form list and in the game you would be able to use fire axes to repair leather armor. Maybe there is a form list there for adding ammo by class to. If that does not work I would down load a mod say like calibre that deals with lots of new ammo and see how they did it. I do not know if you are aware of it or not but in the GECK tool bar edit menu there is a find text feature that I have used many times to figure things out.

Open it and type in ammo and hit find text and any thing that has or deals with ammo will be listed. It is tabbed by category also so that even makes it better,

Edited by deu58

The weapons that use a particular caliber have a pointer to the caliber formlist. Take a look at the formlist AmmoList50MG.

Add your new ammo to the end of that list.

There's a lot of other things to edit too to make your new ammo available in levelled lists and vendors etc.

But you don't need to reinvent the wheel - take a look at the CaliberX mod.

If you are going to mess with the leveled lists make sure you back up your mod first with a clean back up . Small edits save and back up again. Leveled lists can be very dangerous, One list may be used by several sources, Other Leveled lists, NPC's containers etc. you make a mistake in a leveled list then you have made a mistake across all sources that use that list. You start deleting mistakes without knowing what you are doing and you are deleting things out of multiple inventories NPC and container inventories, The undo function does not work with leveled lists, You accidently delete the wrong thing in your modthen it is gone.

For instance a vendor leveled list is made up of several other leveled lists.

Say you take Vendor01 which contains various other game leveled lists and make your own by doing Vendor01Myammo. That is fine. but all the various game leveled lists that are inside Vendor01 Myammo are the very same ones that are still in the original Vendor01 list. If you screw up one of those sub leveled lists it has still screwed up any and every other source that calls on that list including the original Vendor01. Just like containers. If you do something to one you change all the containers of that type. Even though the edit you need is minor just in case you make a mistake you need to be aware of the pitfalls of deleting leveled lists in your mod . If you screw up use your clean back up mod and the FONV esm will replace anything that you may have accidently changed, The real danger here is your mod can pork the game because Vendor A carried item B but because of your changes Vendor A no longer spawns that item and you scratch your head and wonder why.

Same with an NPC that uses a withAmmo list. That is how they get ammo to shoot at you. You accidently remove a ammo list from your vendor and a NPC that also uses that list the NPC can no longer use its weapon. I am neck deep in leveled lists right now for some major additions I want to place in my mod and this is all stuff I have learned by trial and error. More error than trial :)

Edited by deu58