A Desktop that could run a game's recommended specs for 3 years.

First of all I'm doing this due to my last comp dying on me(primarily due to the motherboard and processor being roasted -_-") and all I currently have is 698.76$.(will probably save up to 1k)

Any advice would help I just need a desktop I already have a 20inch monitor, a decent keyboard and mouse to work with.

I've already considered having a SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW as the chassis but if you could provide something better, then I'll reconsider. :)

First of all I'm doing this due to my last comp dying on me(primarily due to the motherboard and processor being roasted -_-") and all I currently have is 698.76$.(will probably save up to 1k)

Any advice would help I just need a desktop I already have a 20inch monitor, a decent keyboard and mouse to work with.

I've already considered having a SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW as the chassis but if you could provide something better, then I'll reconsider. :)

Recommended specs for three years on a $700 budget? Dream on. Now a $1k budget is a little bit more realistic for what you are wanting. Now I got a cart on newegg with a system configured with an i3-Sandy Bridge cpu (3.1 GHZ), 4GB DRR3 1600 RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and a Radeon 6750 graphics card for about $686.90. Now I did not go with the case you mentioned, I went with a Lion-li case for $90 instead. On a $1k budget, you will be able to build the same system with the case you want, and with either a quad core or a much more powerful graphics card (hint, go with the graphics card). If you pm me your email address, I will email you the cart.

Recommended specs for three years on a $700 budget? Dream on. Now a $1k budget is a little bit more realistic for what you are wanting. Now I got a cart on newegg with a system configured with an i3-Sandy Bridge cpu (3.1 GHZ), 4GB DRR3 1600 RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and a Radeon 6750 graphics card for about $686.90. Now I did not go with the case you mentioned, I went with a Lion-li case for $90 instead. On a $1k budget, you will be able to build the same system with the case you want, and with either a quad core or a much more powerful graphics card (hint, go with the graphics card). If you pm me your email address, I will email you the cart.

$686.90 for a GPU isn't that pretty much a overkill? also is 6750 better than 6870? because it's just 224.99 in amazon and has a pretty decent heat sink for msi. :S also isn't Intel Core i5 2500K be better for support if after 3 years I decide to just update my GPU? :S

Also my real plan is really 1k+ I'm just saying $700 is all I have right now.

Edited by JnrfL

$686.90 for a GPU isn't that pretty much a overkill? also is 6750 better than 6870? because it's just 224.99 in amazon and has a pretty decent heat sink for msi. :S also isn't Intel Core i5 2500K be better for support if after 3 years I decide to just update my GPU? :S

No. $686.90 for the entire system. GPU is about $120 give or take. No, a 6750 is not better than a 6870. If you want a 6870 and an i5, then you need to save up to at least $1,000 for the entire system. The reason why i was suggesting graphics power over cpu power is that the majority of your gaming performance is going to come from your graphics card. CPU helps, and it helps considerably in some cases, but your graphics card is where your horse power is at in gaming performance.

I think he meant i3-Sandy Bridge cpu (3.1 GHZ), 4GB DRR3 1600 RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and a Radeon 6750 graphics card for the 686$ in total

As far as I know, Intel's coming out with some new chipset this year/next year, so I kinda doubt that there will be too many GOOD CPU's to upgrade to on the LGA 1155, 3 years from now. Which the 2500K is. It's still a good CPU, no doubt.

You should also consider the HD 6950

And tbh, it's pretty much impossible to predict what will be good/decent in 3 years, unless you compare to what speed the technology has improven in the last 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

And tbh, it's pretty much impossible to predict what will be good/decent in 3 years, unless you compare to what speed the technology has improven in the last 10 years.

Fortunately that work has been done for us; through the magical power of console stagnation.

Essentially, as a function of current development strategies (fueled both by economies of scale and the success of the game console as a platform (explicitly the Xbox360)), the overall requirements for new hardware are "fixed." To take this down out of a theoretical realm: basically any graphics adapter released since the GeForce 8 is entirely suitable for any game on the market (indeed, the GeForce 8 itself saw re-incarnation as both the GeForce 9 and the GeForce GTS). Yes, newer games slowly "eat away" at the performance margins of older hardware, but nothing like what we saw prior to 2005 (where a new game or new graphics adapter re-shaped performance demands).

Now, if we have a release date for a new console (or a new game engine) this situation changes - and then future prediction is absolutely impossible (and I'm guessing that we're closer to this than we were in 2006/7, when the GeForce 8 itself was new hat (and the GeForce 8 itself still does list as the required/recommended specification for many new titles, some five years later)).

I'm not saying that progress is not happening, but I am saying that barring some major transition by the industry at large, a moderately high end computer built today should be quite relevant in 2-3 years (and even prior to 2005, quality gaming machines had a life expectancy in the ~2 year range).

To narrow this even further, I would suggest an AMD processor (I'm a fan of the triple-core models right now, although the quad-core parts are barely more expensive (and all use the same common platform - so you can pick whatever motherboard you like and fit the processor in as your budget allows)) - not only does the total ticket price come in lower than an Intel solution, AMD has consistently shown a willingness to support older platforms with new releases over the last few years.

Edited by obobski

I must say i agree with post by obobski go for AMD , Sandy Bridge does have very nice performance BUT think again, for money you will pay for dual core Sandy Bridge you can get quad core AMD Phenom2.

Today list of games that support 4 cores is much bigger than before, since you are building PC that will last few years i think it would be smarter to go with 4 cores.

Check many stores , price can be very diffrent from store to store, recently i got gr8 deal for AMD Phenom 2 945 when i was building PC for my friend.

I prefer AMD GFX cards so HD 6870 would be very good choice but you can check performance of Geforce GTX 560, that card is btw same as GTX 460 1 Gb only higher clocked, do not confuse it with GTX 560 Titanium , Titanium is much powerfull card with more shaders and rest ...

This is configuration i think it would be gr8 to build, you try to see will it fit your budget where you live cuz i dont know prices there but it should end less than 1000$.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Editon

MBO: Asrock 770 EXTREME3 - AMD 770

RAM: DDR3 4GB (2x2GB) Kingmax 1333MHz

GFX: Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic, 1GB GDDR5

CPU COOLER: SCYTHE Katana 3 SCKTN-3000

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1Tb 1002FAEX SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache

PSU: SEASONIC SS-620GB S12 II 620W

DVD-RW: LG GH24NS

CASE: you choose id go for Antec or Coolermaster.

Cpu is quad core with unlocked multiplier and could reach more less 4.0 Ghz, depends on temps...

Mbo is very good Asrock is not bad as it was few years back this mbo is very popular (ASUS is owner of Asrock)

Ram 4 gigs is more than fine dont be stupid and pay way more to get some metal heatsinks on them

Gfx little weaker than 6870 but cheaper trust me you wouldnt feel diffrence in games and you could allways OC it :) gr8 cooler on it

Hdd 1 terabyte capacity 64 mb cache 7200 rpm made by Western Digital also gr8 price for what it offers

Psu 620W of REAL power made by psu legend Seasonic

DVD i allways liked LG optics cheap and work gr8

I hope i helped atleast a little , but keep in mind that when you will be buying that PC AMD could release Bulldozer CPUs, but my guess is that they wont be cheap.

Edited by Xenno

• 2 weeks later...
The best thing to do really is make sure your parts are as up to date as possible and are expandable or replaceable for a long while. For example I have a rather good Asus mobo GTD pro/usb3 which when I built I reasoned that it has a extra PCIe x16 slot if I really want to do crossfire later for a budget upgrade and expandable RAM as well as the CPU socket was still developing (AM3) not to mention the fact its bios can be flashed to support the upcoming 8 and 16 core AMD cpus on AM3+. Another bit I did was I knew the next gen graphics were coming out in a few months (built august 2010, 6xxx and 5xx came out December/January) so i skimped on the GPU and got a HD5770 saving and waiting for the 6970s release. I have estimated you can keep a computer upgraded for about $400 a year for about 3 years by the the PSU may have started to fade as well as certain other components from heat fatigue and dust ESD.

The best thing to do really is make sure your parts are as up to date as possible and are expandable or replaceable for a long while.

+1.

I accidentally jumped on the lga1156 boat back in '09 and in less than 3 months lga1366 made it seem obsolete with no good upgrade options. Then in less than a year Intel dropped lga1156 off their road map. If I could go back in time I would have bought an AM3 system with a phenom x4 knowing in fact when bulldozer came out it would be compatible with my system.