Need help with pictures!

Akkikiri

OK, I really want to know about pictures! I mean.... I just can't find any good help! :confused: From just making new in-game portraits from pics on my computer, to making new banners to hang from castle walls (and put on shields! ), to making pictures for custom classes that actually (FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY) fit in that little box on the character menu! :wallbash: Alright, I tried that last one out one time and it seemed to work fine... but then after my character was made, I went to the main menu page where you see their name, health, sign, etc..., and only I think the little bottom corner of the pic showed! It was like the pic got too big for the box! :verymad: HELP WITH PICTURES. Pretty please??? I'm desperate... :(

As always, thanks all! ...And thanks for even taking the time out of your day to read my petty whining. :D

But I could have sworn that Nifskope is designed to make your own images, right? :mellow: I was thinking more of converting images from my own computer into the game. And I haven't found any tutorials on the CS wiki to do that. :sleep: Does Nifskope actually help to put pictures in-game in the form of paintings/class pics? :confused:

Does Nifskope actually help to put pictures in-game in the form of paintings/class pics? :confused:

NifSkope is needed to do that, but you have to do several other things first.

Things you will need:

1. A BSA unpacking tool. You'll need to unpack several files. BSA Commander works (although I've never used it). Oblivion Mod Manager also has a BSA unpacking tool.

2. A program that can edit .dds (texture) files. NVidia makes a free .dds plugin that works with PhotoShop. GIMP is a free program that has it's own .dds plugin, but you will also need a Normal Map plugin. Paint.NET can edit .dds natively, but you will also need to get it's NormalMap plugin.

3.NifSkope. You will need this to apply your texture(s) to the desired painting frame(s).

Once you have all of this (and have unpacked at least one painting mesh and it's associated textures), you can proceed. Open an image you want to convert and scale it down to 256 x 128 pixels (256 wide, 128 tall). Save the image as a .dds file in DTX3 compression as MyPic01.dds. Now use the NormalMap function to create a NormalMap for it and save the NormalMap as MyPic01_n.dds. Open one of the painting meshes in NifSkope and click on the image in the painting. Doing so will highlight one of the NiTriStips in the Block List (Usually NiTriStrips # 19, but if not, it will be the last one listed). Click on the + to the left of it to expand the block list for it. Now click on the + next to NiTexturingProperty. You can change the source texture to your newly created one by clicking on the small purple flower-like icon. Then save the mesh as a new one and you've got your own custom picture you can hang...wherever once you've added it into the CS.

Edited by The_Vyper