I've looked everywhere I can but I can't find the gun mod in MxR's video...

FlamingMeat

It looks like he just ripped the model from a previous game's one and made it mirrored and compatible. Is that normally acceptable practice or is it borderline shifty? Like if the original modder is working on a port already but another comes out almost exactly the same as the one they were working on first and that guy gets a ton of exposure over the original creator. I'd be a little upset.

Not necessarily if it used model made by person who's inactive on nexus, but very likely if it used the model without permission from the original creator. I don't know how strictly the permissions are moderated, so I can't say if permission granted over third party channel like another site is sufficient or if it's required to get the permission over Nexus. Proving the identity could be quite big issue for permissions granted over other sites, but then again it's easy to modify the page contents with chrome's inspect element tool to create screenshot of fake permission. Considering these I'd assume that unless reported by concerned person such as the creator of the original mod, it might be hard to take actions against a mod that falsely claims to have permission to use the contents, as proving the lack of permissions practically requires contacting the original creator.