Can anyone help actualize a 3D model in game? (Survival Knife)

YailBloor

@Junnari

So, you would convert an alien outfit or helmet for a cat for example, load up the cat in nifskope, copy in the helmet, scale, rotate and move the helmet, and THEN touch up in Outfit Designer? What if it had no bones? How would you deal with that without the copy weights function from Outfit Designer?

The working nif importer for 3ds max 2016 (I think to 2013) is here: niftools-max-plugins-3.8.0.0fc6f5f.7z

@Yailbloor, hey you didn't say you exported as a Maya binary...so I went into Maya and created two files: fbx and ape and then created the nifs. The problem may be that the fbx and ape had the same funky uv unwrap and the max scene had no unwrap at all...wtf Maya and max don't read each other's files directly is totally nonsense. I'm learning Maya now. The way I'm learning to model, having points like those pinwheels are a real no no. What sucks is Idk how to uv unwrap in Maya yet so I can't check if the fbx fk'd it up or what...

Well I created the nif 3 ways:

From FBX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8fj0n344a6ioql/knife2.nif?dl=0

From Autodesk Packet Exchange:https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4wa6gv4eef5rt0/knife1.nif?dl=0

From Max Scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6n6536biicou6r/knife3.nif?dl=0

Now the only thing I changed from the vanilla export was: no welded vertices and no hidden nodes. I modified nothing within your original Maya save. When I looked at the unwraps, I made a new scene and reimported the fbx or ape or max scene then exported as a nif to ensure nothing in max modified anything.

I hardly understand anything you said, since I know slim-to-nil about modding, but I did clearly state that the model was made by uedftus (AKA primnull), and not myself. Please do give the author due credit, I don't wish to receive any of his (or hers) deserved acclaim.

Yail, you downloaded the files right? Use the nifs, I spent like 10 mins on it. You asked for someone to convert the Maya file. The other question was for Junnari ding a ling. @Junnari, you understand the attachment nodes for guns like the 44 revolver or 10mm Pistol? <----notice Junnari...

Edited by jeffglobal

I did some adjustments to the barrel and scope parenting points for my G67 to get them positioned correctly. I would expect that they wouldn't be working too differently for the .44 and 10mm pistol. Is there something specific you'd need to know about them?

@Junnari

So, you would convert an alien outfit or helmet for a cat for example, load up the cat in nifskope, copy in the helmet, scale, rotate and move the helmet, and THEN touch up in Outfit Designer? What if it had no bones? How would you deal with that without the copy weights function from Outfit Designer?

The working nif importer for 3ds max 2016 (I think to 2013) is here: niftools-max-plugins-3.8.0.0fc6f5f.7z

@Yailbloor, hey you didn't say you exported as a Maya binary...so I went into Maya and created two files: fbx and ape and then created the nifs. The problem may be that the fbx and ape had the same funky uv unwrap and the max scene had no unwrap at all...wtf Maya and max don't read each other's files directly is totally nonsense. I'm learning Maya now. The way I'm learning to model, having points like those pinwheels are a real no no. What sucks is Idk how to uv unwrap in Maya yet so I can't check if the fbx fk'd it up or what...

From Autodesk Packet Exchange:https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4wa6gv4eef5rt0/knife1.nif?dl=0

Now the only thing I changed from the vanilla export was: no welded vertices and no hidden nodes. I modified nothing within your original Maya save. When I looked at the unwraps, I made a new scene and reimported the fbx or ape or max scene then exported as a nif to ensure nothing in max modified anything.

I hardly understand anything you said, since I know slim-to-nil about modding, but I did clearly state that the model was made by uedftus (AKA primnull), and not myself. Please do give the author due credit, I don't wish to receive any of his (or hers) deserved acclaim.

Yail, you downloaded the files right? Use the nifs, I spent like 10 mins on it. You asked for someone to convert the Maya file. The other question was for Junnari ding a ling. @Junnari, you understand the attachment nodes for guns like the 44 revolver or 10mm Pistol? <----notice Junnari...

Um, yeah, I did notice the @Junnari, I also noticed the:

"@Yailbloor, hey you didn't say you exported as a Maya binary"

Which is what prompted my comment, since I never said I exported anything at all. Nor did I ask anyone to convert a Maya file (at least not directly, since I don't really know what that means other then it was made with Maya, but the relevance is lost on me). I did express that I know slim-to-nill about modding, so this is all greek to me, and I hoped someone would make it work in game. The rest of what you said went over my head. Anyway, I did download the files, but I am hoping someone who actually knows what there doing takes care of it before I get in way over my head.

I get it though, reading comprehension must be difficult for someone who's vocabulary includes "ding a ling".

Edited by YailBloor

@Junnari

Um, yeah, I did notice the @Junnari, I also noticed the:

"@Yailbloor, hey you didn't say you exported as a Maya binary"

Which is what prompted my comment, since I never said I exported anything at all. Nor did I ask anyone to convert a Maya file (at least not directly, since I don't really know what that means other then it was made with Maya, but the relevance is lost on me). I did express that I know slim-to-nill about modding, so this is all greek to me, and I hoped someone would make it work in game. The rest of what you said went over my head. Anyway, I did download the files, but I am hoping someone who actually knows what there doing takes care of it before I get in way over my head.

I get it though, reading comprehension must be difficult for someone who's vocabulary includes "ding a ling".

Hmmm, I thought you only needed help with creating the nif to get it into a mod into the game. It's not too bad if you have nothing to do and take a few weeks of 100 fails until things start to work. That's what happened with me. 2 months ago, I didn't know a freakin thing too, I was just playing Fallout 4. Now I know I don't know a lot more but, I can get some things done.

If what the other guy said is true, that the knife is a combination of nifs with attachment points, like the guns, I still am not sure how those work, but everything except plasma shot control mechanisms seem super simple. Like mechanical things, things that are made to be fixed are made to be easy to make and fix. The problem is that the tools used to make this stuff has no dictionary or index to look up meanings. Only random help and videos.

The modeling suggestion is based on uv mapping and Zbrush importing. They both like quads. I really like Zbrush, but that may be only cause I like to play in the dirt. I do appreciate the small number of vertices you have used, but watch other ppl model, all the professionals I have watched in videos do things that I noticed started to duplicate each other; they use conditional deletions trying to maintain the line of the object while trying to keep quads, it's not a criticism, it's a suggestion for making it easier on you as you learn modeling. They also religiously delete unseen faces.

Fortunately or not, creative geniuses never grow up, but at least according to military testing I'm in the 99th percentile. Ding a ling. When I first took the ASVAB, they wanted to retest me, because I got a perfect score. The recruiter said, if I knew I couldn't get a 100 on this type of exam, it's a percentile rank, I said, I know what percentile rank means.

It's not about insulting or boasting, I'm way past that. I was trying to help you.

It's hard for me to use these forum tools though and find anything in a mess of information...

Edited by jeffglobal

Dude, again, this is NOT my model. As I said in the initial post, it was created by uedftus (AKA primnull). That was CLEARLY stated, and my objection to your first response was that you didn't acknowledge that. The fact that you continue not to is baffling to say the least, but I expect someone who brags about their intelligence like you have to at least comprehend basic concepts. You are impressing no one. Go back, re-read our dialogue, and realize where you were wrong. I would expect a "genius" ought to be able to admit their mistake.

Edited by YailBloor

Yes, I can acknowledge mistakes. I have a 37" monitor 2 feet in front of me, and I literally have to turn my head sometimes to read it. I remember reading that, and idk y I replaced you for him as the modeler. So your purpose here was to get someone else's model into the game with someone else's work? I don't see how that helps you at all but, I'm still working on a throwing axe in queue for another person's throwing weapon's mod and it's possible I'll see how to deal with the double blade problem because there's a switchblade in that mod that has a similar construction I think.

I also learned my dad has stage 3 melanoma, and he got treated with a vaccine (which can infect ppl that are close, btw), a few days ago, so maybe I'm thinking less efficiently.

I thought about it some more, and I can say, with certainty, that I make MORE mistakes than the average person, just some of them happen to be pretty cool solutions. Usually, when I learn a subject, it's a matter of correcting all the mistakes until I run out of them. For example, I'm more careful reading threads now, I just missed someone responded to my CPA connection point issues...above, didn't see that until now.

Edited by jeffglobal

back on topic... can this just copy and paste to use the combat knife anims?

And I'm here if anyone has direct questions for me.

I can make a proper spec map if that helps any

workinng to learn quixel 2.0 and greatly speed up my workflow. thinking maybe architecture and furniture would be easier to bring into the game?

I did some adjustments to the barrel and scope parenting points for my G67 to get them positioned correctly. I would expect that they wouldn't be working too differently for the .44 and 10mm pistol. Is there something specific you'd need to know about them?

Yes, take the 44.nif for example. It has a BSXFlags, then a CPA, CPT and a BGED (that's the animation I assume) but now, for example, I look at the 44Bullbarrel.nif and try to see htf they get put together the receiver and the barrel and I don't get it.

It looks like the 44.nif is the control for the construction of the gun in game, and I look at the BSConnectPoint::Parents and Children of both nifs and I don't see a common target or connection point name.

The closest common names for BSconnectPoints I see is P-Barrel and C-Barrel. Is that a connection? Cause I see in the grip.nif a C-Grip and a P-Grip in the 44.nif.

I would have no clue how to then replace a grip with my own, cause idk how to add or copy the BSXFlags or CPT, etc, cause I look at the BSXFlag data and it says integer data 194. hmmm, 194 wtf is that? On the receiver the BSX data is 202, why? idk. does it matter? prob not.

Is it just as simple as adding my mesh scaling and positioning it and deleting the old trishapes? Idts, but I haven't tried it, because in this case without a dictionary or translation of Nifskope terms, there's an infinite way to make a mistake and just waste time.

So, you being able to ADJUST the parts positions, not just identify but, manipulate them, is way more than I understand at this time.

Thanks for any help junnari

The receiver piece is usually used as the parented object to which the rest of the parts are attached. TheBSConnectPoint::Parents manages the points to which the children object's origin points are set to. If you are looking to just adjust the parenting position, it can be easily done by tweaking the translation values under the connect point of the mod. As far as I've understood, the P- and C- prefixes in the connect point variable name refer to parent and child, and are used to designate the wanted connect point for the wanted mod. Thus it should be possible to create new mods with custom parenting point, though I haven't yet tested this out.

There shouldn't be any need to modify the parenting points or the variable name if you are only trying to add a new or replace existing grip model. Easiest way to do it is to simply use the existing grips as base. Once you have your model as .nif and have the material and textures made for it, just copy the BSTriShape branch and paste it inside the NiNode under which the old BSTriShape is, set the material & textures and save it as new .nif. After this you'll just need to create needed forms for it with FO4Edit and it should be usable in game.

Edited by Junnari