custom weapon vats problem - (SOLVED)

zantetzou

so, im making a mod with several new weapons all but one work fine, this weapon is an SMG.

when i use it with vats my character just fires constantly then reloads and continues to fire long after the enemy is dead and vats wont end untill it has used all of my ammo.

is there a way i can limit how long each burst lasts or is there another fix for this problem?

SOLVED

Edited by zantetzou

Have you taken a look at another machine gun template and set yours to function the same way? 9mm smg for example? Did you create a new template or are you using a duplicated template? Maybe take something like the 9mm smg and duplicate it and edit the ammo etc if necessary or any other part and do not touch the vats section. load it up and see if it works in vats. If it is good then fine to your desire everything except the vats section.

Sounds like you've set the rate of fire way too high. I don't have an exact formula, but basically look at other guns for values that work. For small weapons I used IIRC something like twice the number of bullets I want it to shoot in VATS, plus 2. The higher the rate of fire declared there, the higher the number of bullets shot in a VATS burst. So if you gave it something nuts like 1000, yeah, it'll shoot for a loooong time :P

Sounds like you've set the rate of fire way too high.

well the rate of fire isn't really that high.

here are 2 pics.

this is the bugged weapon.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z65/zantetzou/Weapon.jpg

and this is another custom weapon.

as you can see this one has a higher RoF yet it works perfectly in VATS

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z65/zantetzou/weapon2.jpg

i am totally stuck lol

in the override section try putting a check in the action points box and set the number counter to 20.0000. Lets see what that does for you Edited by deu58

I copied your exact settings from the first page of your weapon and I had no problems. It worked fine For the art and sound I copied the info from the alien blaster. I went out shot a couple bad guys and and a couple scorpions using vats and everything worked as it should. Edited by deu58

thanks for the suggestions guys but unfortunatly the weapon still doesnt work correctly.

ADDITION:

I managed to fix the problem so i thought i would update you incase anyone else has the same problem later.

it seems having the weapon set to "guns" skill instead of "energy weapons" fixes the problem.

i would assume this is because there are no energy based single handed SMG's in the vanilla game.

Edited by zantetzou

thanks for the suggestions guys but unfortunatly the weapon still doesnt work correctly.

Your first page settings do not appear to be the problem. Like I posted I used your settings for the first page settings and the the alien blaster info for the second page art and sounds. It worked perfectly. In fact it was a pretty cool weapon and I may even find an adaption for it in my own mod. The rate of fire that was mentioned as being possibly to high did not appear to be a problem at all and I had very nice steady rate of fire from the weapon but the draw back I think that you will have to provide an over abundance of alien power cells in the game to keep the weapon supplied. I am sorry if I am asking the obvious but when you test your mod all other mods that you have are deactivated right?

I am sorry if I am asking the obvious but when you test your mod all other mods that you have are deactivated right?

no worries about asking, but embarrassingly the answer is no i never remembered to disable everything else...... :wallbash:

i will test without the mods and let you know