Allowed to use files from other bethesda games?

Simple question, for a mod for fallout new vegas, can I use sound files from Oblivion or fallout 3 in my mod?

I was told this is illegal and under no circumtances can you use files from other bethesda games etc, though I see many mods with objects converted from fallout 3 to Fallout new vegas etc, and I doubt those people have asked Bethesda for permission so what exactly are the rules on this subject

Edited by thelonewarrior

There were a lot of leftovers from FO3 in the game files for FNV. That's why you can see them, those mods are just making items which were included in the game files usable in game. Nothing illegal there since they were included in the purchase of FNV.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a few remnants from Oblivion in FNV's bsa file, and in that case, yes they would be legally usable in a mod. I seem to remember a large proportion of Oblivion's sound files finding their way into the Fallout series anyway, so there's bound to be something similar, if not the same within the FO bsas'.

Using resources from the files of another game is illegal, no matter which game, even if they are from the same company.

Edited by Skevitj

The problem comes about because Bethesda may not hold the absolute copyright of the items in their games - they may well only be copyrighted [have licensed materials from another source] for use IN the game they were designed for - part of the problem of subcontracting design work.

You can use anything IN the game, as long as it's shipped as part of the game. Unused bits in the BSA are fine.

You cannot directly export/import a model from another game, nor directly convert it. That applies both to Bethesda's games, and those from other studios.

You CAN re-create a model based very closely on one from another game, from scratch, using the usual tools. You could also use an existing in-game model, modify it to look like the one you want, and use that.

Don't make it TOO perfect a copy, though, or someone will claim you directly exported it. Tweak it a bit - put a little originality in :)

Edited by Thandal
clarification.