Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone's brought this up already, but I'll say it anyway, this site isn't the friendliest to mobile devices as it is now. Text is too small, some important menu buttons rely on a mouse hover event that's impossible for a touch screen and the search box at some point stopped accepting the "enter" button as input (also a problem on desktop browser), so it makes it extra awkward searching from a tablet/phone.

Also, I despise white text against black backgrounds and wish I could choose a more usable color theme, like I can on the forum part of the site. More than a few minutes gives me serious eye strain. I can override the colors on my PC's browser but it makes everything look weird. I can't do that at all on my tablet.

In response to post #34714225. #34714475 is also a reply to the same post.

DaJay42 wrote: Please, please keep in mind that the majority of your users will browse the site on a 16:9 or even 21:9 monitor. Don't go thin and tall. Vertical space wasted = bad. Horizontal space unused = bad.
TWFH1 wrote: yep

Which is why you should always. ALWAYS, design a site from a mobile perspective and make the design adapt in size as you go up. Never goes wrong.

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070 are all replies on the same post.

DaJay42 wrote: Please, please keep in mind that the majority of your users will browse the site on a 16:9 or even 21:9 monitor. Don't go thin and tall. Vertical space wasted = bad. Horizontal space unused = bad.
famidrive wrote: Which is why you should always. ALWAYS, design a site from a mobile perspective and make the design adapt in size as you go up. Never goes wrong.

Agreed.
And why the f*#@ would you be on here with anything other than a PC anyway? You can't even USE anything on here if you're not.
Fami, you are wrong in every way. Those devices can't use anything on here, so the Nexus shouldn't cater to them. Edited by dredlord45

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070, #34715220, #34715820 are all replies on the same post.

famidrive wrote: Which is why you should always. ALWAYS, design a site from a mobile perspective and make the design adapt in size as you go up. Never goes wrong.
dredlord45 wrote: Agreed.
And why the f*#@ would you be on here with anything other than a PC anyway? You can't even USE anything on here if you're not.
Fami, you are wrong in every way. Those devices can't use anything on here, so the Nexus shouldn't cater to them.
Thom293 wrote: Dredlord45 - what are you talking about? I literally browse the nexus every day, respond to PMs, notes on my mods, etc, from my phone. It absolutely works and is my primary way to spend time here. When I am home on the computer, Im modding or playing. Phone is useful.

Granted Im on a Windows Phone (which is fracking awesome by the way) so maybe other phones dont give you that option? I swore my old Iphone did though...

@famidrive: That is exactly what happened during last redesign do you see the noodle, right?

I don't understand this stress on mobile compatibility. We are all PC users, there is no question about that. Mods can be used only on PC not on mobiles, tablets etc. I know there are times we need to check the site from mobile, but majority of editing will still be done on desktop. Edited by starfis

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070, #34715220, #34715695 are all replies on the same post.

dredlord45 wrote: Agreed.
Fami, you are wrong in every way. Those devices can't use anything on here, so the Nexus shouldn't cater to them.
starfis wrote: @famidrive: That is exactly´what happened during last redesign do you see the noodle, right? Even on my tablet I still have a lot of wasted space on the edges.

I don't understand this stress on mobile compatibility. We are all PC users, there is no question about that. Mods can be used only on PC not on mobiles, tablets etc. I know there are times we need to check the site from mobile, but majority of editing will still be done on desktop.

Dredlord45 - what are you talking about? I literally browse the nexus every day, respond to PMs, notes on my mods, etc, from my phone. It absolutely works and is my primary way to spend time here. When I am home on the computer, Im modding or playing. Phone is useful.

Granted Im on a Windows Phone (which is fracking awesome by the way) so maybe other phones dont give you that option? I swore my old Iphone did though...