Basher Axe (3d weapon by primnull)

uedftus

Basher Axe (ddo wip)

A pretty complex object for my plunge into learning ddo and generating industry standard maps but this was an awesome learning experience
blade is too woodish so I need to redo that and rework my AO to have less black lines on it but otherwise I like it a lot

uv,diffuse,color,normal,gloss,spec,ao all at 2048x2

work in progress

http://orig14.deviantart.net/6bcc/f/2016/050/5/8/basher_axe__ddo_wip__by_primnull-d9seah7.jpg

Wait a sec, did you do a Tracker Knife too?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upqkyu11hyx4dce/Knife.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdks5ry3vfjw0la/Knife2.jpg?dl=0

Those triangles look very familiar in your axe. ZBrush thought your point efficiency of the knife was 138%, which is impossible of course. I also couldn't get ZBrush to use spotlight on it even after 7 subdivisions. Very strange.

For an idiot savant that can't help but count edges, that model's geo is very disturbing. Idk y.

Edited by jeffglobal

Gotta agree with jeffglobal. I see some places to squeeze the polycount tighter, but honestly I think, for the sake of how it'll look rendered, adding some polys just to get rid of a majority of those little sliver triangles might help tons. It's worth it to increase the polycount by a couple dozen if it means there aren't those slivers everywhere (at least in my opinion).

EDIT: I m an idiot and realized I forgot some stuff (while laying in bed trying to sleep pfft). I'm making a new one right now.. though yeah now I see why the one I had posted had so few polygons :wallbash:

EDIT2: I drew the cutouts as not having any chamfer just because it's easier to draw it this way. The lines that connect to the chamfer vertices are a bit a whole lot off in places, but this is just for visualization.

Changing the blade bevel helps a little, but that seriously needs a vertex riiiight in the middle on the left side there.

You can obviously reduce the polycount further, but that'll start making those stupid slivers everywhere again. I tried to reduce it as much as possible while keeping the amount of severely acute angles to a minimum (and why is this easier when editing a mesh, than trying to draw it out? Gah). Also bear in mind that this is a crude sketch just so I don't have to try and use words to explain what I mean. The fustercluck around the cutouts can be improved.

Another way to do it is to cram all those slivers in paces where they'll be the least noticeable. Which lets you do this fine-looking geometry:

Vaguely related: I should charge you for my OCD meds this month :P

Edited by Kikaimegami

well when I export it into ddo for painting I think it triangulates the model like that. It's either in Tris or quads when I'm done with it in Maya

and yes, I made the tracker knife and this. I've made a ton of weapon models and uploaded to nexus. This Axe is actually a really old model, 2013 I think I took a stab at getting it textured