Recommended memory settings for ini file

oc3

Does anyone have a good idea what the optimal number would be to enter into the memory variable in the ini file? Running Vista 64 bit. I'm thinking that around 5GB would be the most I should set it at, but will it even use it all or is there a max that the engine can access? I may not need that much, but I want to make sure it never uses the swap file.

Thanks!

Oblivion is a 32-bit program. Even with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag enabled it will never use more than 4GB of memory. Edited by ArmeniusLOD

Oblivion is a 32-bit program. Even with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag enabled it will never use more than 4GB of memory.

Thanks, that's good info, but I'm not aware of the flag you mentioned. Can you tell me how to enable it?

Oblivion is a 32-bit program. Even with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag enabled it will never use more than 4GB of memory.

Thanks, that's good info, but I'm not aware of the flag you mentioned. Can you tell me how to enable it?

the Oblivion 4GB Patch. google it, you should find it easily and quickly. Just download, start the .exe, and that's it. You'll probably notice a fantastic difference afterwards; I sure did!

the Oblivion 4GB Patch. google it, you should find it easily and quickly. Just download, start the .exe, and that's it. You'll probably notice a fantastic difference afterwards; I sure did!

Thanks,

I can't believe i haven't heard of it before. Found it, and here is an article about it with the download link in case someone else neds it.

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=449

If you have any form of Visual Studio (including express editions) you can do it simply yourself. Run the VS command prompt as an administrator, navigate to the folder the executable you're editing is in, and enter "editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE Oblivion.exe" or whatever other executable you want to enable this flag on. For me the command prompt is located in All Programs->Microsoft Visual Studio 2005->Visual Stuido Tools->Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt. You have to make a backup because editbin directly modifies the executable without making one.