Which version of the Morrowind GOTY should I buy?

MrPerfectV101

I've never played Morrowind before and I'm looking to pick up the GOTY edition. There seem to be three versions of it for sale though, the Steam version, a PC CD-Rom version and a DVD-ROM version that is "Presented by PC Gamer". From what I have been able to find, the Steam version can not be modded and should be avoided. What about the other two? Are there any reasons to get the CD version or the PC Gamer DVD version? Do they both come with the GOTY extras(wall map, figurine, etc)? :psyduck:

Don't get the steam one. Either cd or dvd would be good. I believe they all come with the expansions and patches so no worries. Just your preference really.

Enjoy the game tho, I still play it more than oblivion.

I would be leery of the 'Presented by PC Gamer' version as I have never heard of it. If it is a new unopened Boxed GOTY from Bethesda Softworks it should have all of the extras. If not, who knows what you will be getting.

The steam version is a download with only software and does not include any extras. You can't download the figurine. :tongue:

The GOTY on steam doesn't include the construction set. If you plan on making mods, get a disc version. The steam version can use mods perfectly fine however.

If you're not in for modding, the pro for getting the Steam version is that you can't scratch the disc :P.

As bben said, it's best to pick the CD version. You don't need the Tribunal and Bloodmoon discs after the install anymore, you always play with the Morrowind disc.

The wall map was included in all versions btw.

• 1 month later...

Avoid the Steam version at all costs. D:

I'm not being a hater, here. I love Steam. I pretty much use it as my digital download provider, but they dropped the ball with the installation. I found out the hard way that they installed the bloody expansion packs the wrong way around. This leads to much hilarity if you try to drop a construction set into it. And lots of facepalming. Not sure how they could've made such an amateur mistake.

So I ended up having to dig out my GOTY version on discs anyway. Blargh. :P I got it on Steam for the convenience of it, in case my discs ever went, but... yeah, with the expansion packs installed the wrong way around, it's less useful. And if I'm right (which I may not be) it even effects the stability of games and mod functionality to a degree.

But yeah, don't take my word for it, do what I do and drop the construction set into it. ...I know those errors well from when I'd installed the expansion packs the wrong way around. I'd expect me to make an error like that, but not Bethesda/Steam.

So yeah... avoid. Buy retail.

• 1 month later...
Well I've never heard of the dvd, and steam sounds like it doesn't work right with the installing Bloodmoon before Tribunal. Personally I bought the cd GOTY, and it works great for me,,, think it came with a map too, but that may have been the xbox. As for protecting discs does no one else rip isos? I keep the cds in a box in my room somewhere, and if i need to reinstall or pull data from one of them for modding purposes I just mount an iso and do what I need without messing with physical discs.