LOD Generation

omega549

O.K. I'll start with the background, I have made an extension to the game map, or more precisely modifed an unused area. In total I have added a fully navmeshed, textured, cluttered, populated area with several locations and interest points.

I have put some 80-100 hours into it and it is 95% done (just needs bug tested)

The problem I have is that when I go to LOD generator it works, but reverts all the land I altered back to how it was before I modified it, i.e. I lose all the terrain changes.

I don't understand why this happens, so I checked the tutorial and followed its directions for regenerating the wasteland LOD. After finding out I have to remove all the existing LOD data from my meshes and textures folders that belong to the areas I altered I opened the GECK and wrote down all the x, y coordinates of my mod, in total some 50-60 chucks.

These chucks do not exist anywhere in the meshes or textures folders, so I deleted all the files with x, ys close to mine. Did the LOD generation and it still happened, I lost all my work again. Checked the folders and the areas I deleted were back.

So I simply don't know at all what I am doing??? I dont know why the LOD generation erases all the work Ive done, I though the LOD and terrain heightmap/textures were seperate, and doing the LOD wrong would just make it appear wrong in game, not erase all my work.

Can anyone help, if you know how to do this I will appreciate any feedback and am willing to let anyone who knows how to do this perform it for me and you will be credited as a author...

I can upload pictures if anyone needs them, or I can upload a file.

This mod will be an extension to http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40531, after we can release our next (massive) update.

Thanks for your time.

It has been sometime since I generated LOD, but I was able to do it successfully for the entire Fallout 3 wasteland, several times. It was a serious trial and error labour. I do seem to recall that all LOD data had to be removed prior to generation, not just that which was relevant to the changes you had made. All data needed to be removed. You are generating everything from scratch. I think.

Delete the entry for your worldspace from the modsettings folder, and meshes/landscape/lod/ delete your worldspace folder. Also do this in textures/landscape/lod.

Also delete it from source/textures/landscape/lod.

Then regenerate everything again in Geck; meshes, textures, objects, trees, etc.

Make sure you copy textures from difusegenerated to diffuse.

A number of people have posted about LOD generation for FNV, both here and at the bethsoft forum. I am not aware of anybody who has been able to regenerate LOD for the main worldspace in FNV. A number of people have said it is possible in FO3, but nobody has posted about succeeding with FNV. If you search for "LOD generation" at both places you will see the various threads of people who have tried. If you can figure it out, that will be great. Most people either make their own small worldspace, or make only a tiny change aboveground. For example, adding one shack, or one manhole cover, or similar. This is a workaround, and it is painful to discover late in the mod development process, but there is no other known solution.

Delete the entry for your worldspace from the modsettings folder, and meshes/landscape/lod/ delete your worldspace folder. Also do this in textures/landscape/lod.

Also delete it from source/textures/landscape/lod.

Then regenerate everything again in Geck; meshes, textures, objects, trees, etc.

Make sure you copy textures from difusegenerated to diffuse.

I edited the actual New Vegas worldspace. So I tried to delete its info and the GECK crashed when I did the LOD generation. I tired to do delete only x, y coordinates my modifications altered and none are actually in the folder.

I dont really know what to do? I'm out of ideas.