Looking for better eStat explanations.

mccordrm

Yeah I assumed it was just the chance of it working, but they ditched it in balancing as it's an odd mechanic for players to interact with.

One thing I need to double check, but the value defaults to zero if you don't include it IIRC, so if you give someone armor that doesn't usually have it but it doesn't seem to be working you might need to add this to their stats.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strength - when determining whether a hit will impart a physical status effect, the attacker's strength is compared against the defender's strength

Will - same thing, but for mental status effects

Alert Level - AI behaviors can be selected based on the AIs current alert level. Alert levels have both a numeric value for the stat and an internal designation:

Green Alert: AIs have no knowledge of enemies, they will generally patrol

Yellow Alert: AIs have indirect knowledge of something suspicious, they will move to investigate the suspicious area

Red Alert: AIs have perfect and current knowledge of a target (ie. They can see it), they will take full combat actions

Orange Alert: AIs have had perfect knowledge in the past but no longer do, they will take actions to re acquire their targets or flush out based on the last known location

Alert Level - AI behaviors can be selected based on the AIs current alert level. Alert levels have both a numeric value for the stat and an internal designation:

Green Alert: AIs have no knowledge of enemies, they will generally patrol

Yellow Alert: AIs have indirect knowledge of something suspicious, they will move to investigate the suspicious area

Red Alert: AIs have perfect and current knowledge of a target (ie. They can see it), they will take full combat actions

Orange Alert: AIs have had perfect knowledge in the past but no longer do, they will take actions to re acquire their targets or flush out based on the last known location

So if for example i want to get the AI to "forget" xcom and return to normal is it going to be automatically applied when i am entering them back into concealment or should i modify the AlertLevel stats as well?

also on a side note- are you working at firaxis? and if so is it mandatory you all have Fxs in your name?(my bet is on yes and yes), thanks for the clarification anyways

Edited by Guest

So if for example i want to get the AI to "forget" xcom and return to normal is it going to be automatically applied when i am entering them back into concealment or should i modify the AlertLevel stats as well?

Re-entering concealment causes the AI knowledge to become imperfect, so by default they would automatically drop down to Orange alert and would still be hunting XCom based on their last known location. So if you want the AI to go back to patrolling instead you would need to modify alert level as well.

The alert level will naturally lower over time as the AI knowledge becomes stale.

also on a side note- are you working at firaxis? and if so is it mandatory you all have Fxs in your name?(my bet is on yes and yes), thanks for the clarification anyways

Yes, I'm Dan Kaplan, Lead Gameplay Engineer, and no the Fxs isn't mandatory, it's just a common prefix for Firaxians.

Since we are talking about alert level here. I always found it odd that it seems to be used in two different contexts.

• for mission difficulty (with values between 1 and 7)
  • for something connected to AI behavior (values from Enum)

It's awesome to see some light being shed on that second point. I assume there is no real connection between those two alert level concepts and it's just a naming coincidence?

as another side note - Firaxians does sound scary close to Phyrexians to me. Maybe you should work on your branding... :laugh:

Edited by eXecator

Re-entering concealment causes the AI knowledge to become imperfect, so by default they would automatically drop down to Orange alert and would still be hunting XCom based on their last known location. So if you want the AI to go back to patrolling instead you would need to modify alert level as well.

The alert level will naturally lower over time as the AI knowledge becomes stale.

Yes, I'm Dan Kaplan, Lead Gameplay Engineer, and no the Fxs isn't mandatory, it's just a common prefix for Firaxians.
Well first of all thank you for the clarification on the matter, I still don't know if I want to take the AL down to green rather than orange but that's balance. And most importantly welcome to the forums! Always nice to have professional help and people with massive experience with the subject

FxsAlingis,

That explains the Alert Level for aliens (Thanks for that, btw), but I'm looking for how it works as a soldier stat. When creating a new Class, or just adjusting the player's soldiers in general, what effect does changing the default Alert Level 2 to something else?