random FPS and GPU usage drops

BoSoxBry

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem or can help me ascertain potential causes.

When playing FO4, I am usually locked at 60 FPS, give or a take a few hiccups. However, since I started playing again (this issue didn't happen back in December), I have noticed that randomly, I will get a massive FPS drop and see that one of my GPU's usage goes down to about 30%. This will last for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then return to normal. Also, sometimes after leaving the level up menu, the issue triggers as well.

Now, I do use MSI Afterburner for overclocking and monitoring. I use ENB and many mods as well.

i7-3770k OC'd to 4.3 ghz

GTX 980 SLI

4K res

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hello, I ran into this SAME issue. The fix was the dynamic shadow mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822

I have:

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4 Ghz

SLI GTX 960 4GB (Both cards OC'ed)

Back in december I was getting 60 fps solid. Then after running it again recently, I would get 45 ~ 50 fps in the wilderness, 10 ~ 25 in the city areas if I was lucky.

Someone pointed me to dynamic shadow, now im back with all my settings on very high (cept' godrays) :D

Getting a solid 60 FPS now, occasionally it will drop to 50 if there is a crap ton of stuff to render, but it pops right back up after a few seconds.

hey man, thanks for the reply!

unfortunately, I am already running Shadow Boost and the problem persists with/without it. I've noticed that opening up any kind of menu, like workshop, pipboy, etc. seems to bring on the "bug" or whatever it is. One of my GPU's usage goes down to 30-40%, and the game lags like crazy for a bit even after I close the menu. But the problem does happen during regular gameplay as well.

I probably should have posted my load order and mods.

Vogue ENB 0.13 Vivid

Shadowboost

MSI Afterburner OSD (toggle off and on)

Mod load order :

Fallout4.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
Homemaker.esm
SettlementKeywords.esm
Arbitration - Resources.esm
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks.esp
keyNuker_keys_en.esp
Clear Water Default Radiation.esp
EnhancedGrass_Low.esp
EnhancedGrass_High.esp
EnhancedGrass_Med.esp
InteriorsEnhanced.esp
FO4LaserBolts.esp
dD-Enhanced Blood.esp
Glorious_Glowing_Plasma_Weapons_by_Diranar.esp
Chem_redux.esp
VIS-PatchChemRedux.esp
Realistic Death Physics.esp
Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp
Companion Infinite Ammo.esp
CBBE.esp
AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
NukaRadBans.esp
def_inv_scrap_en.esp
keyNuker_cards_en.esp
AES_Renovated Furniture.esp
EferasSandbagsDefenceWall.esp
Siles - ModernMagazineShelf - All in One.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor.esp
Craftable Armor Size - Fix Material Requirements.esp
Craftable Armor Size.esp
LegendaryModification.esp
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
Crafting Workbench.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Faction and Quest Requirements.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp
Eli_PlantPots.esp
CleanSettlement.esp
Homemaker - SK Integration Patch.esp
Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp
Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects SK.esp
Business Settlements.esp
BusinessSettlements-SKPatch.esp
GruffyddsSignsAndPosters.esp
LivingInterior.esp
Colored Workshop Lights.esp
BrighterSettlementLights_LessHarsh.esp
Lore Friendly Posters.esp
200%pipboy.esp
200%NoShadows.esp
SkjAlert_RS+.esp
Faster Terminal Displays (20x).esp
LongerPowerLines3x.esp
RichMerchantsLessCaps.esp
Dogmeat's Backpack.esp
OCDispenser.esp
OCDecorator.esp
MMP4APA-blue.esp
MMP4APA.esp
My_Minutemen.esp
Standalone.esp
Minuteman_CB_ECCA.esp
EferasShoulderBag.esp
DeadBodyCollision.esp
Arbitration - Button Lowered Weapons.esp
QuickEnterFromStand.esp
QuickExitToStand.esp
Brotherhood of Steel Kit.esp
LovingCurie_1.0.2.esp
LovingPiper.esp
Cait_Visual_Overhaul.esp
EasyHacking.esp
BetterSettlers.esp
dD-Realistic Ragdoll Force.esp
DV-Durable Vertibirds.esp
DV-Armored Pilots.esp
DV-No Levelled Vertibirds.esp
PA_Materials_Paints.esp
MoBettaScrap.esp
DarkerNights.esp
TrueStormsFO4.esp
TrueStormsFO4-Performance-Fog.esp
TrueStormsFO4-GlowingSeaExtraRads.esp
DarkerNights-TrueStorms.esp
Radiant Clouds and Fogs.esp
DarkerNights-Radiant.esp
DarkerNightsDetection.esp
BetterNightVision.esp
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul.esp

Again, this didn't happen a couple months ago and I can't for the life of me figure out whether it's a MSI problem, patch that screwed something up, a mod, etc. If anyone has anymore ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Since the last post wasn't too long ago I think i'll contribute here by saying that this randomly started happening to me as well. The game runs fine until I sleep or enter a menu and then it just gives up on life and takes a dive to 30% and stops there. The game becomes unplayable and choppy and i'm just wondering whether or not anyone knows if this is a game issue or a hardware issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have the same Problem.

I reinstalled Fallout 4 like 4 days ago and installed about 40 mods or something. Everything went fine, the next day i started playing and after 30 minutes the fps went down to like 20 fps or something ( pretty sloppy and not really fun to play ). I tried to search in my Mods for a possible troublemaker, but since it worked fine for 6 hours a day ago, i did not found anything and reinstalled the game completly. Fps drop still occurs.I tried to lower my graphic settings wich helped for 30 minutes and then fps dropped again. I also actually think it cant have to do something with my graphic settings, since it worked totally fine before.

I actually have the same Problem.

I reinstalled Fallout 4 like 4 days ago and installed about 40 mods or something. Everything went fine, the next day i started playing and after 30 minutes the fps went down to like 20 fps or something ( pretty sloppy and not really fun to play ). I tried to search in my Mods for a possible troublemaker, but since it worked fine for 6 hours a day ago, i did not found anything and reinstalled the game completly. Fps drop still occurs.I tried to lower my graphic settings wich helped for 30 minutes and then fps dropped again. I also actually think it cant have to do something with my graphic settings, since it worked totally fine before.

interesting. I too have been having brutal fps issues as of a week or so. All i can think is latest dlc (s) is what changed for me.

• 2 months later...

Exactly the same here. Important to say that this has started to happen after upgrading to windows10. Before that I didn't have any performance problem.

In windows 7 I was running in ultra tweaked (with .ini changes), 50 mods, and everything worked right. Now, I have tried without mods, in low settings, etc... and at the beggining my fps are solid high, but after several minutes drop to an unplayable 10-20 frames.

Btw, my rig: i7 920 @3,8ghz, Asus P6x58D Premium, 12Gb RAM, 2x GTX 680 SLI.

The symphtoms are as described. Suddenly GPU activity drops to 30% or so.

NOTE: I have found that texture mods. OVERALL ENHANCED BLOOD, makes to trigger this behaviour more quickly. If I shot to a corpse without enhanced blood activated everything is fine. But With this mod activated, fps drop when shooting the corpse. Vivid texture mods also make this behaviour to happen faster.

ANYWAY, avoiding texture mods doesn't avoid the fps drop, just delay it a few minutes more.

This drives me to think that maybe this is a GPU memory bug (since texture mods squeeze gpu mem). Dunno, just an idea.

Sorry for my bad english!