Stealth, shoot out lights

Nawm

• 1 month later...

Right now you can shootout spot lights but why can you not shoot out other lights? Or blow the flame out of candles. A mod that lets me shoot out all lights to make things darker for stealthily going through environments.

+1, indestructible lights are the suck for a char trying to stealth to position. Example, Vault 114 has them set up all over, and they're annoying as hell.

Shouldn't be too hard with scripts actually, I saw some functions that check if the light is on nearby and others that change the light level, so that is a definite head start, I just wouldn't know how to set it up or I would make it. I definitely see this being a thing though in the future, problem is it might require separate models of the lights or something so they break like the spotlights.

It would be simple for workshop lights. Just add destruction states, like turrets or generators have, and remove the light from the destroyed version.

However lights in the game world are not that easy. Usually light is placed separatly from its source. So even if you disable a lightsource, the light will still be there. Often one light is used for multiple lightsources, due to performance reasons. So to get this to work, you would either have to rework the lighting of the complete game or you try disabling near lights with scripts, which could cause strange results...

Anyway this is definetly something I am going to use in some sneak parts of my planed dungeons ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

It would be simple for workshop lights. Just add destruction states, like turrets or generators have, and remove the light from the destroyed version.

However lights in the game world are not that easy. Usually light is placed separatly from its source. So even if you disable a lightsource, the light will still be there. Often one light is used for multiple lightsources, due to performance reasons. So to get this to work, you would either have to rework the lighting of the complete game or you try disabling near lights with scripts, which could cause strange results...

Anyway this is definetly something I am going to use in some sneak parts of my planed dungeons ;-)

I noticed that when I scrapped a fixed lantern at Sunrise Coop. The light stayed there. What a sloppy approach.

• 3 years later...