Help with mod idea (newbie)

nap85

Simple idea, but I'm very new, and a little overwhelmed with the tutorials and guides. I'm hoping someone can help me with the basics and perhaps give me a rough outline of how to make this. If this isnt a good place for this post...sorry.

So basically, I want to add an item to the leveled lists that when looted, triggers a group of enemies to track you down and try to kill you. Would like it to be repeatable. I dont want it to be a quest, more like the hired thugs that track you down after stealing something. For learning purposes, could I simply attach the hired thug quest/script to a sword for example, stick it in the leveled list somewhere, and have those thugs trigger when it's looted?

If not that, seems I should be able to use the hired thug script/quest as a base and simply change a few words/references within the script to activate when the sword is looted, rather than a stolen item, no?

Maybe this is asking a lot of someone lol, not sure how complicated (if at all) something like this is, but I've been looking at various entires in the CK involving the thugs, trying to get an idea of how to start....and it's not really clicking for me. Any help or pointers to get started would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Story_Manager_Events

Is this vanilla hired thug quest triggering on Crime Event? Could you replicate it wholly, and make your version triggering on PlayerAddItem Event? Or else, simply make your version possible to be started by papyrus script instructions, and attach a script, which would detect that the item was looted, to either the item or the player (I mean, player reference alias) - not sure which works better.

I dont see anything within any of the hired thug entries with words like theft/steal/stolen/item, so i have no idea how those quests/scripts know when an item is stolen....

Edited by nap85

How about this...anyone point me to a quest/script/event/etc that i can open in the CK, from either a mod or the vanilla game, that triggers an event when an item is looted? I'm thinking of the meridias beacon, because it's a random chance for it to be in a boss chest at the end of a dungeon? Basically, looking for a mod that does something somewhat similar, looting an item triggers an npc or something. I dont even know where to put the script lol...quest, npc, item....all of the above?

Perhaps it would be easier to make it as a quest, just not show up in the quest log?

Just a note that the Meridia's beacon quest won't be helpful much here - it's a different mechanism - as far as I remember, it is triggered by Location Change events (think: whenever player enters new location with a boss chest, and player level exceeds threshold, and maybe some extra conditions on top of that, randomness and such - then the beacon item is put into the boss chest in the entered area).