Truth Seekers WIP

RubberMan01

The Truth Seekers are a new branch of the Imperial Guard hell bent on delivering a new type of justice and law and order to Vvardenfell.

It will be set in a new town North West of Caldera (Simonstone, yup that's a real town in England) as not to add new buildings to existing towns and hopefully avoiding any clashes with other mods.

The main idea is to add a form of Police force to Morrowind with a bit of CSI thrown in there.

It is in it's infant stages right now but even at this point it adds 36 new NPC's, 30 new meshes and various other additions including oodles of new dialogue for existing NPC's and of course the new ones.

Solving crimes and arresting criminals will be the main theme and as quite a large side quest you get to build your own home. Not quite like the Stronghold where it is magically built within 3 or 4 visits but one that will build over time/ quests.

The meshes are enabled/ disabled depending on quest status to give the illusion the builders are actually doing something each time you finish a part of the house quest.

It also adds 4 travel NPC's at the 4 main forts (with horses) that allow you to travel to Simonstone and from there to Ebonheart/ Wolverine Hall/ Moonmoth and Buckmoth.

Every building within the new town is a new mesh so it has taken quite a while to get it as far as it is right now.

The quests will include a new drug (lore friendly - Balmora Blue), A serial killer, body snatching and some corruption.

At this point I am also considering adding a female mage companion. That's a maybe.....

If I ever get a reply I'm hoping for someone to give the Truth Seekers some new armour as well.

Enough rambling here are some screenshots

(Please note. These may or may not be the final textures used)

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/house.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/mage.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/pub.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/apothecary_1.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/townsquare_1.jpg

Any quest ideas concerning crime in Morrowind are quite welcome :D - New meshes not a problem!

Please comment with your thoughts.

I've always liked the procedurally built settlements in Morrowind, always thought it a shame the way the passage of time became basically irrelevant over the course of later games. Doing that in greater detail with the house sounds like a very neat idea. I'll need to learn how to do that myself for my own plans.

Personally I would vote against the mage companion, if only because I've seen about eight million mods that include a companion NPC and they feel overdone to me. That's just my two septims though.

Agreed. Companion idea has already been ditched. The option of a house steward is in effect instead.

The house above has now changed to it's final meshes and completed (thank God)

As a side note; I have the builders/ plasterer/ bricklayer/ carpenter etc move around different pubs (can you tell I'm a builder in real life haha)

I never liked the idea that when you speak to someone 10 days later they are still in the same spot!

Just scripting the steward now (there is a choice of 6 different ones with different personalities) which is making me cry....

The static nature of NPCs in Morrowind was always kind of a nuisance to me but I figured it was a limitation of the engine - most mods I've seen that tried giving NPCs schedules felt very clunky and unreliable to me but I don't doubt there's a way to make it work, especially if you sync'd it with quest progression.

If I could figure out how to do that on a large scale without it being a complete mess, I'd love the idea of an entire nomadic tribe that would move around a circuit as time passed, a bit like a larger version of Skyrim's Khajiit trading caravans. I get the feeling though that doing so would involve having a dozen clones of the tribe that spawn and despawn according to a script, which sounds like an easy thing to mess up.

There is already a mod that does that. If he reads this I hope he forgives me for forgetting it's name and his lol

Just moving guys from one place to another doesn't involve any scripting at all if you do it during dialogue. Saves processor time and you can control better where the player is when the NPC is moved and indeed what part of a quest he is up to without running a constant script.

As a quick example.....

Send player to Gnaar mok to order foundation stones -> When he speaks to the salesman move the builder to site.

That's rather simplified but it makes the point.

Sounds simple enough. Are there dialogue cues that can be linked to specific time periods? There's a couple of lofty ideas bouncing around in my head that will almost certainly be dumped as impractical for reasonable gameplay, but I kinda like idea of magic rituals that can only be performed during specific times of the year.

It's less "dump the idea because it'd be hard to do," it's "dump the idea because it simply wouldn't be much fun for the player even if I think it's neat."

Telling the player they can only get a certain item during certain months of the year might work for an MMO, but in a singleplayer game it just feels like a punishment for not playing the way I want them to.