Getting started as a modder, looking for advice and directions

WarTherapy

So.

Before you stands a person - Me! - eager to finaly stop being a darn thankless consumer of mods and use his skills to make them.

I am a multimedia student, well into my second year in university, and i am literaly installing 3DS max as i type this, since i will have 3D modelling this semester.

I was planning to start doing my own items at some point, but i think i might need to ask for directions first, so i came here.

some things i would really like clarified:

1 - so how does one get started in making mods? should i basicaly start on my own, hone my skills and eventualy group up if i want to do something more ambitious? or should i team up ASAP and learn on the fly?

2 - do you recomend any sort of plugins for modding, or is vanilla 3DS max enough?

3 - i plan to do swords, armors, and accessories. is this a good idea, or should i start somewhere else, given that i am interested in making mods based on 3D models?

4 - exactly how hard is it to make my own textures? i have photoshop, i can use it, and i even have a shitton of brush kits.

Well , for 3d max or blender you will need Nif tools , and a few more texture plugins , only for max I belive , textures one

For Scripting well , if you aint a dumbass such as me , It wont be too difficult itself the GECK .....man that GECK well just take it with a gran of salt not plesant but its like dark souls the masohistic one you will see people crying due to that

Imagine the GECK is as difficult as Dark souls but in the end you will be felling like a damn king plus its not too bad once you get around it

For Swords , you picked the wrong game if you ask me , but if thats your poison its beyond me

The Difficulty Kinda Depends on you , will you push foward

Its Like Dark Souls...well maybe turned up to 11 in a text format and crashes as much as Fallout 3 on Windows 7

The Engine is rather Old , consisting its Oblivion but with a facelift and boob job

For A team well.....you cant go on voice acting all the NPCs in the said mod no ? or Do 20 Swords for a whole week like low poly maybe but even then youd have wasted time , while you could have spend a week working on 1 model and gotten 1 high poly quality model

If you Feel Like you are fighting a losing battle , consule with people , ask modders that dont have , *PM me bout Mods or I will Kills you*

written on their profiles , Look at the vids , if you think you need a extra pair of hands go around the nexus post topics and learn ,ask

Everyone started from Zero Will you be a second genious to blaze the nexus is beyond me.

Be your Work , holsters huge swords or iron man armor , work improvise thats the best you can get from me

I aint a pro , others may help ya considering I wrote this for 10 minutes I can only expect someguy2000 would have blazed this

seen it and written *For the Love of Sodomy Get Working you damn ******

1# Learn the GECK ,3d Modeling and Photoshop

2# Work with People Once Needed and you will have to

3# Have a Steady Goal

The Vids, mostly tutorials to help with the GECK

https://www.youtube.com/user/Seddon4494 - this guys has enough to get you started , but you will need to venture beyond the deadly alley

Also Look at Millenia , he has a 3d tutorial on weapons , but its kinda the same formula

Wish you Best of Luck , Hope this helped al be it minimalistic

I aint a pro but as someone on the same road as you I can only offer you a cup of coffe

Will you like or dislike the taste is something beyond my power

Best Of Luck take this

*you have received a picture of Adam Jensen in the Primeval Ages*

Edited by alexmercer984

It's important to start small so you can test ideas and get a feel for how much work/time things require. A lot of people come into modding with grand ideas of forming a team and making a huge mod. Do not join their team.

A sword is a good 3D modelling project to start with, as they are less work than armor or statics and don't require you to figure out weight painting or collision.

Was this originally posted to the Follout forums and then moved here?

I'm confused by the first reply...

I found the tutorial videos on YouTube quite helpful while learning to do the basic and some of the more advanced things.

There are also mods like this - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622/ and plugins like this: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop to help you work with the Skyrim meshes and textures.

Good luck! :-)

I was about to post a similar topic, but I'll ask it here if you don't mind. :blush:

I'm also wanting to start messing around with modding, specially with character's skin things, like scars/stitches, warpaints/tattoos, tintmasks... But I'm not able to go to schools because of.....reasons. So I decided to look for tutorials and advices to teach myself, and found Dark Creations, but seems like that forum is a bit abandoned... And everything I find is about weapons/armor or architecture and landscape...

So, anyone can point me to anything character related, or suggest any other forum like Dark Creations? Any help would be highly appreciated.