Mod Help: Player Owned House + Safe Containers

IonDune

I am currently making a house mod, and interior and exterior design is well underway. This is my first mod that I intend to complete. I was just about the start adding some chests to the interior when I noticed that all of them that I can find seem to have been set with automatic leveled loot. What steps are taken to assure that items left inside the house or in chests in that house stay there indefinitely, like they would in any official in-game house? Thanks for your time.

Make copies of existing containers (by changing their reference ID and selecting "yes" when it asks if you want to make a new object). Change what is added by that container, and make it so that respawn isn't checked. Just because it has a leveled list doesn't mean the chest will respawn. The chest will only respawn if the respawn box is checked. Having a leveled list inside a non-respawning chest allows a random assortment of stuff to be added to the chest initially so that the chest isn't empty when you find it.

Make copies of existing containers (by changing their reference ID and selecting "yes" when it asks if you want to make a new object). Change what is added by that container, and make it so that respawn isn't checked. Just because it has a leveled list doesn't mean the chest will respawn. The chest will only respawn if the respawn box is checked. Having a leveled list inside a non-respawning chest allows a random assortment of stuff to be added to the chest initially so that the chest isn't empty when you find it.

Ok, thanks! And also, if I have an interior cell that is owned by the player, then items dropped in that cell will not disappear as well, correct?

Ok, thanks! And also, if I have an interior cell that is owned by the player, then items dropped in that cell will not disappear as well, correct?

Not always, Objects which aren't in containers are stored in a cell buffer. When that cell buffer becomes full from you loading other cells, it purges the data from cells you visited earlier. If you visit your house often, the data within that cell should be renewed every time preventing this, but if you spend a week or so cleaning out various caves and ruins, you may come back to an empty house. Setting the player as the cell owner was supposed to prevent this, but it doesn't always work, especially if you have several houses. You should try to put anything you really want to keep inside a non-respawning container whenever possible.

Not always, Objects which aren't in containers are stored in a cell buffer. When that cell buffer becomes full from you loading other cells, it purges the data from cells you visited earlier. If you visit your house often, the data within that cell should be renewed every time preventing this, but if you spend a week or so cleaning out various caves and ruins, you may come back to an empty house. Setting the player as the cell owner was supposed to prevent this, but it doesn't always work, especially if you have several houses. You should try to put anything you really want to keep inside a non-respawning container whenever possible.

So even things I put in display cases can potentially disappear?

• 5 years later...

I have a quick question for anyone that would like to give insight.

What about player owned chests in an exterior cell? I'm working on a player owned home project which would have exterior areas and I wanted to put chests that would be safe. Does anyone think this will be an issue?

if they're player owned and non-respawning they SHOULD be safe however, they may get robbed. I don't know the full mechanics of NPC responsibility or the items they steal, or mods that change these things, but I think it's quite unlikely

Npc's generally don't steal anything but food or weapons. If they can "find" a weapon nearby when in combat, they will take it. If they are hungry and they can "find" food in a container, they will eat it. Again, this has a lot to do with responsibility, but I have seen Npc's that take food or weapons even with a 100. Just because it is set to Player owned, that doesn't mean that Npc's won't rob it. And again, you must set it as NOT respawnable. There is a bug in the game engine which doesn't like to allow us to lock chests. Maybe Midas Magic would have something in it for that, I don't know. Thanks Vagrant0 for being such a durned good moderator, and I love the new signiture you got. If I could give super kudos, you would have over 100 from me.

-theuseless

What about outdoor player owned chests that have a lot of items in them? Does it bog the system down?

I'm working on a player owned area with an outdoor forge, bench etc., and I would like to be able to put a few containers around that the player can store crafting supplies or whatever.