Armor Piercing weapon ability

NameNotPresent

Can anyone make scripts to give specific weapons armor piercing capability that can be of varying degrees? When I say varying degrees I mean like the same script but with different Armor piercing values depending on the weapon being used. Like have one for hammers, one for maces, battle axes, etc.

For example give a weapon that has 28 attack power 50% Armor Pierce. Meaning that 50% of the 28 attack power ignores armor while the rest of the damage is calculated normally. So the result against an opponent with 50 armor would be 14+7=21 damage.

I would like to do this to make the weapons behave more as they should especially "Blunt" type weapons and to make them more useful to give the player a reason to switch up weapons making combat more frantic and strategic. This would be making weapon choice important for different situations.

You would also need to cateforise armor types with their ability to resist piercing. For example, a roman-style linen and leather armour will stop an arrow cold at nearly point-blank range, it's the roman equivalent of a flak jacket. Quilted armor works much the same. To make it all balance you'd need to do a fair bit of research and work out what is best against what, building both attack and defence into the mod.

Yes I considered that but then arise more problems with some of the "light armor" not making sense i.e. glass. I just want to do this for now. Besides I don't think that is really needed because of the different armor ratings. Ability to resist armor piece doesn't make any sense. That is contradictory to Armor pierce. I have and am always researching stuff like this.

Also I intend to do other things but I want to do this first or at least need to know how to script such things. I don't know whether to use object scripts, quest scripts, both, or maybe have weapon enchantments modified and just use magic effect scripts. I don't want to use that last method though. This needs to apply to all applicable weapons not just the player's weapon.

Yes I considered that but then arise more problems with some of the "light armor" not making sense i.e. glass.

I quite agree - "glass" armor always struck me as being very silly. When i bother to think about it at all, I come up with something like "The Ayleids must have had some sort of ultra-strong plastic which the less developed races refer to as glass".

The whole point of some light armors is that they DO resist piercing damage - but then are usually far more vulnerable to (say) bludgeoning damage. A mod which allows for that would make big advances on the realism front.

What you are thinking of might be best handled as an extended version of the MOBS - Medieval Oblivion weapon Balancing System. Adding types of damage would seem to fit in well with their concepts.

Ya I have looked at MOBS it has some nice changes but I don't like that it breaks the original weapon/armor material hierarchy. I didn't check if that mod changed when different materials started appearing though.

It looks like I'm on my own as far as this gos though.

Edited by NameNotPresent